How old to take hunter safety?

elks96

Long Time Member
My daughter is in 3rd grade 8 years old and wants to take her hunter safety. She shoots well and has been shooting for 2 years. She is pretty safe. This fall she wants to shoot some rabbits.

How old were your little ones? State recommends age 11, but I hope to take her big game hunting before then.

It might depend on which State you're from but We last year we passed a kid here in a Calif class that was 8 years old. He did pretty good actually and his Dad was just the other day showing me some critters the kid has shot in States, places that allow his age to hunt big game.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

What state are you in, and what is the minimum age for hunting big game or requiring a hunting license for small game?

I am working on becoming a hunter safety instructor here in NV. There is no minimum age, but 10 and younger require a parent to be present, and the class is put on at the pace of the course. Basically it is designed for people 11 and older to make sure they can comprehend what is being taught. Pass or fail, no make-ups unless you take another class.

I can let my daughter (9) hunt small game and upland game though without the license provide she is under my supervision. Hope this helps.

>What state are you in, and
>what is the minimum age
>for hunting big game or
>requiring a hunting license for
>small game?
>
>I am working on becoming a
>hunter safety instructor here in
>NV. There is no
>minimum age, but 10 and
>younger require a parent to
>be present, and the class
>is put on at the
>pace of the course.
>Basically it is designed for
>people 11 and older to
>make sure they can comprehend
>what is being taught.
>Pass or fail, no make-ups
>unless you take another class.
>
>
>I can let my daughter (9)
>hunt small game and upland
>game though without the license
>provide she is under my
>supervision. Hope this helps.
>

I am in Colorado. I have looked but not sure where the min age is for small game!

I was an HEI in kalifornia for several years. IMHO it depends on the child and the child's parents. I have three children that have been around hunting and shooting their entire lives. One attended the class at 7 years, one at 8 and one at 9. You will know when the time is right.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

My wife and I used to teach a Hunter Education class a month. Our classes ranged from 20 to 40 people in every group. We had several kids in the 8-9 year old range.In Utah there are really three "Tests" for a student to pass. Shooting - In three positions,A written test, and the one that as an instructor can be tough, an Attitude test. I have passed 8 year olds who not only scored better on written and shooting test, but were more mature in attitude and thought than some adults. In my experience Girls seem to do better than Boys at a young age. They almost always have better shooting scores and a much better Attitude. Remember also as a parent of a young hunter, YOU have a HUGE responsibility to maintain your youngster stays safe. Review Gun handling rules and safety with them often. ( not just a week before your hunt). There are also Parents that want to accelerate a kid to what they feel is a proper "Hunting" level. Dont be one of those, let the kid advance at their own pace with Safety THE constant concern. Some things to avoid might be, physically demanding hunts, Hunting in extreme weather, And a BIG thing, DON'T EVER "over Gun" a child. This is a safety issue often overlooked by an adult. I can lead to Dangerous circumstance. Now with all this , with safety the main concern, Make sure the child enjoys the experience.

Good response STONEFLY. My 9 year old boy, now 10, took it last winter with my wife. My boy know his stuff. I have been a scout leader for 9 years and have done several archery and firearm shooting activities with them. My boy was there and knew more than any of the boys on safety and shooting. We talk safety all the time every trip to teach and remind my kids. He did well shooting and on the test, missed 2 questions. My wife missed 1 only because she changed it at the last second.
Now my 8 year old, almost 9, wants to take the class. Hes as good, if not better, shot than my oldest. Hes very smart and will do well on the test. This winter we will sign him up.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-14 AT 12:45PM (MST)[p]I am an HE instructor in Wyoming. We have had kids as young as 7 take the course( he passed), but I personally recommend they be at least 8. The difference in retention in just that 1 year of age difference is amazing in some kids.

If your daughter is a good student, she should have no problem passing the course( at least the Wyoming course).

The 7-yr old that passed the test had his father present both days. He made sure he stayed on task, but didn't give him any answers or molly-coddle him at all. In contrast, we had a father attend the class with his son earlier this year and he babied him the entire time. This kid was 12 and he failed the course. Of course, it was the instructor's fault for not presenting the material well enough. I have passed hundreds of folks since I've been an HE instructor...and the number of failures has to be less than 10.

I recommend you attend with her if possible, but don't give her any answers or make it easier on her.

Just so I'm not misunderstood...parents may NOT be present during the test.

There is no minimum age for small game in CO.

Big-game is 12.

I'm a HE Intern in Grand Junction. Anything below 10 yoa we worry about and 8 is right on the edge and 7 or under is really asking for to much.

Last week we had 3 failures....(2) 8 yoa kids and a 13 yoa kid.

The failures were a boy and a girl. If you can't pass our coarse, then you can't pass it. Every Q on the test has been stressed 2-3 times and on the review, the main instructor gives them about 30, out of 50, answers for the test.

Also, at the start of each day, the main instructor does a review of everything we taught the day before that is on the test.

The boy that failed, was in the class by himself, and the girl was sitting next to her aunt (her mother and brother were in the row behind them).

I think that the kids didn't take notes, or make a star in their book, next to something, when we say, for the 3rd time, for example, that the expanding gas pushes the bullet out the bbl. They count on remembering it, but don't.

The best courses, for learning, are the week long week-night courses. They are also the hardest to work into a person's schedule.

The easiest course for you to take/schedule are the 1 day computer/internet courses. I don't have any experience teaching them, but they are 1 day long and I don't think that there is a test. It is a home-based. They work through a course, on their own, at home. But, there is a test on the computer, that they must take, and pass, and they print out a certificate when they take the test and then bring it in. They may or may not have another test in the classroom.

http://cpw.state.co.us/learn/Pages/HE-InternetBasedCourses.aspx

They all cost $7-10 and some of the Internet courses charge for the internet part (which is additional).

The shooting...how much time do you think that I have to actually look at them when I have 10 people shooting and 2 of the guns won't extract (Winchester ammo and before that it was Remington, and 2 classes ago I ran a snake through all of the guns before we shot and/or ran a rod through all of the guns (same failure rate), oh yeah, we had a Sportsman's Warehouse guy give us some CCI...it worked perfectly). So, my point, if she can load a single shot .22, by herself, shoot it, and keep the dern thing pointed at the metal trap, she'll pass. The biggest thing is, finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot. We don't care if they hit the paper, or not. But, if that gun comes out of the stall, or gets pointed at anywhere but the trap, then they are gone.

So, to answer your question...if you sit next to her, and keep notes for her, and make a star in her book, next to the gray rectangle, on page 329, that is going to be on the test (you'll know because we go over it 3x), then review those things w/her, then she'll get a 90+ on the test.

John 14:6

I had to read the questions to my boy when he took the class. He was probably 7 and not a good reader. LOL

>I had to read the questions
>to my boy when he
>took the class. He
>was probably 7 and not
>a good reader. LOL

Mine is 8, I did the same. We spent a lot of time taking the practice tests on the Utah DWR sight, the free online class has practice tests. He was 49 out of 50, they were the same questions that were on his test. If your daughter has shot a gun, she will be fine on that end. Beware though, I pack a backpack with my shells, and his 20ga shells in it, his coats, drinks, and HIS GUN as well as mine out to the swamp. We are having a BLAST, he shoots a lot better at moving ducks than I thought he would. I recommend it WHOLEHEARTEDLY!! If she wants to take it, get it done!!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

My daughter was 10 and son 8. I had to attend each class with them. My daughter got 48 out of 50 on the test and my son 46 out 50. My son out shot my daughter by 2 so it equalled out. I wanted to start buying AZ points at 10 because they are so much cheaper as a youth.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom