How Much?

kawboy

Very Active Member
This is a personal question. I don't want to invade so I don't want to know what anyone makes in a year or anything like that. But, There is a lot of talk on here lately on putting time and money and other resources into harvesting trophy animals. Personally I think it takes time more than anything. I am an optimist and think trophy animals can be taken on every unit, with enough time and knowledge.
So the question is what percent of your annual income do you put specifically to hunting?
This year I am already at 10% and that's before much hunting has taken place. But I did get new optics and a few other things.
Let's hear it. Do I need to spend more money?
I think eventually my work will pay off big

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

Time is money, so I think it takes a lot of both.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I live in an area with good animals. Time is the investment I need if I am going to take a trophy class animal. I did splurge for a pair of good binocs this year, but most years I probably spend less than a $1500 a year on hunting. If I took more time I would up that a good bit in fuel and supplies to scout. If I could take more time from my job to hunt (and could afford it), I would spend more and start putting in to draw and hunt in other states.

According to my wife, I spend way too much. In reality, I probably only spend about 1-2% of my income on an average year with general season resident tags. Last year I spent more, because I had an LE elk tag, plus taxidermy costs which I don't normally have (unfortunately). Time is more crucial for me, and an understanding of the animal you are hunting is the most important thing. The more time I have to hunt, the better. I don't believe you need to spend a lot of money to get a good buck or bull.

Nocked N Loaded

I don't know a percentage but it would be significant. Definitely in the thousands and that is not factoring in time. I think you need time and money but that is just my two cents. If you averaged me and my hunting buddies I would guess a yearly average on the low end would be $5,000 and more realistically $10,000 plus with all the expenses included.

I dont want to know. Because my wife could use it against me. I guess If you figure trailers,trucks ,fourwheels,guns,optics,gas,food,ammo,reloading eguipment,clothing the list goes on and on.
I guess our big game meat is the most expensive meat know to man. Have you seen jeff foxworthys video ?
I dont go on big vactions, Have never been to hawaii.Went on a cruise once ( the wife made me go) I went on one paid hunt for bear 1992. Most hunts our drawn or over the counter.
I go hunting as much as i can get away from work. No more than 3 or 4 days in a row.
Scout as much as possible, but not near enough. If I had a plane that would make better us of my time and i could scout more ground ?

No doubt time is the limiting factor for me although I will be hunting between 20 and 30 days this year. Add in time spent on my hunting property on planting food plots, checking trail cameras, etc. and for sure it will be at least a month in the field.

It all depends on what you consider spending money vs. investing. A lot of what I've spent money on are what I would consider assets and some things like my hunting property have actually gone up in value since I bought them. Licenses, travel, etc. will be under $5,000 this year and that is 2 non-resident elk tags, a non-resident antelope tag and a non-resident deer tag. All hunts are DIY public land (or free private land) and I travel on the cheap.

I don't spend a whole lot more then I make. Maybe just a little more. Your not counting fishing are you?

Rutnbuck

With having to buy points now in a lot of states, my costs have gone up. I don't have to spend much time scouting as I don't really hunt where I live any longer. I'm getting wise enough to realize the reward is not worth the effort. I thought I'd never say that but the hunting is so poor in my area, it's the truth. Most of the money is spent on tags and doing what it takes to get out of state. I've been buying points for so long now that I'm at the point that over the next few years, I'll be able to get drawn for those states. That is the best reward. I used my NV points this year and I'm hoping it turns out to be worth the money I spent on all of those points!

Steve
T&A Inspector

I think there really is no set amount that I spend on hunting. Some years its a new rifle, some new bow and all years its new accessories, reloading supplies and clothing. Also spending money on points out of state and also out of state tags. Some of my friends just dont understand how I can spend so much time, money and energy hunting. I tell them if you want to be consistent and successful in anything you do you have to spend the time and energy at it and this is my hobby. The have hobbies like drag cars that have 20k motors so I guess everyone has there fun! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE THIS YEAR!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom