How Much do I tip??

T

toxophilite

Hey, I have a question about how much to tip. I'm heading to Alaska in the next couple of weeks to go Caribou hunting. We are doing the self guided thing and taking a bush plane. How much should I tip the pilot??

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-12 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]That depends on how bad you want him to come back and pick you up! LOL

I really don't know about pilots and flights/drop camps. I have read that on outfitted/guided hunts a 10% of the cost of the hunt is a good rule of thumb to use when tipping a guide and crew.
Some hunts are way more expensive and obviously most of us are on shoe-string budgets. So, with that in mind, I would try to be as generous as you can, without feeling like you have to take out a loan to get home.
Good luck on the bou, and be sure to post pictures.

Good question, but I would think if you're paying him a direct fee to fly you in and out of a place that there would not be a reason to tip him much, if at all.

That has been part of my thinking, BUT, in their email they say "we are a service industry and tips ARE appreciated". I don't mind tipping, and would gladly give a few extra dollars to make sure that we are put in the best place possible, but I'm not a high roller either. I'd just like an idea of what is expected?

Yesterday i was looking at somthing pretty close to what i think your looking at and it was 1300 one way if i remember right. so say 2600 round trip im not by any means a high roller but if the pilot is good and he shared info about the country im tipping him 500 if he is gonna be the one dropping and picking you up. if he is only doing one leg of it but shared alot of info then i would do like 350 for him 150 for the next guy. but it all depends on what you can afford. these pilots put in alot of time and risk there lifes for our plesure so i would do what i could to take care of them.

www.hightopoutfitters.com

That makes sense to me big6. If he can't afford that much, then he can do whatever he feels he can

Generally I would think that this tip would be paid after he comes back to pick you up and takes you back to the airport... So, if you guys have a good hunt and see game I would be inclined to tip well. If the area he drops you off in is void of game I would be inclined to tip much less.

A good tip would be about 15% of the total cost. If the area is not very good, 5% would be my limit...

If this flight is more expensive than what I am envisioning, adjust your %'s accordingly so you don't break the bank...

Hope you have a great hunt!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]NickM---You just hit on something that really wasn't discussed and that is whether the OP has picked the hunt area and the pilot is just dropping him off in a spot where the plane can land safely or if the OP is actually going to an area that the pilot has access to or says is the place to go. If the latter is the case, then what you stated would seem reasonable to me. If the OP has picked the spot and the hunt turns out lousy, then I don't think the pilot should be stiffed if the money is just for his flight service.

It's generally 10% of the cost of your outfitter fees.
If he did a horrible job, tip less, if he knocks your socks off, give more thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12 AT 08:07AM (MST)[p]slamdunk---Did you read what this thread is about because it has nothing to do with outfitters or an outfitted hunt?

I will get ripped for my reply, but here it goes }>

Tipping in this case (and many other services) is just plain stupid IMO.

Yeah, I am as guilty as anyone and do tip. However, I would rather them just add the 15% or whatever it is they expect, and just add it to the price of the service.

Then, there is no guess work!

The services you recieve vary greatly. I did an outfitted, but unguided hunt for moose up there 3 years ago and the outfitter provided our food and camping gear. He basically just flew us in and dropped us off and came back and picked up our moose when we got them and then came back and picked us up at the end. He did tell us how to hunt moose, and flew us around and showed us some bulls etc.

He took really good care of us though and we tipped him well. He was the buisness owner and flew us in and out and he was our only contact. I would maybe be tempted to not tip at all if your only chartering air service to fly you in and out.

We did the math and it cost that guy $750 in fuel to fly us in and drop us off. That was one round trip cost for fuel (doesn't count picking us up). Those guys aren't making as much money as it seems and airplanes are expensive. I don't see much need to tip a pilot who is just an employee and flies you in and drops you off.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]"I don't see much need to tip a pilot who is just an employee and flies you in and drops you off."

***That shows the difference in people because in your scenario I would be more prone to tip the pilot, rather than the guy or company I had the contract with.

Dang302,that is really similar to what our trip is. they are getting our gear and food from a place in Kotzebue that rents equipment, then they are dropping us off. I don't know if they are going to fly us around and show us the area or anything like that. For all I know they are going to drop us off in the most convenient place to land and pick us up. My friend seems to think that you give them a big tip on the way out so you get a good spot. If we were providing our own gear, it would cost $1400, with the gear it is $2600.

Nick, sounds like a good rule of thumb, percentages based on flight cost or flight and equipment cost? I'm going with my Dad, and I figure if we are both paying $150, then the guy is making out really well. I have gone on an all inclusive cruise and had those guys taking care of my every need, and only tipped $150 (based on the percentage rule). the pilot may just fly out and drop me off, other than getting me in and out safely, what "Service" did he provide to warrant a nice tip? that is truly my dilemma.

Call me crazy, but if I were the one booking or arranging this trip I would want to know where he plans to drop you off and why that area. That would give me time to get some maps and start planning my hunt. He could likely drop you off next to other hunters or not to far from others... Or in a place that has very little game.

I think it would be wise to have some general area narrowed down prior to getting up there. I just like to be prepared is all and I would assume if you are spending 2600$ you'd like to know its going to be worth it.

I hear horror stories quite often about bush pilots dropping hunters off on top of the last group they took out there, or close to them.. Or in areas with very little if any animals around.

Just some food for thought.

Also, I don't think a "big" tip on the way out is the way to go either, he likely will already have a general area in mind prior to you getting there so that tip won't change his direction much. In addition, I have also read that it is against the law for pilots to give you tips on where animals are or where to hunt as they are not guides. Maybe I mis-read that, but I am pretty darn sure that is what it said.

Nick, I have asked for a general area, but the problem with hunting caribou is you have to follow the migration. so as of yesterday, they couldn't give me even an approximation of where we will be going even though we are under 20 days from leaving.

Why don't you do some nosing around and call one your pilots competitors and ask what he'd charge for the exact same service and then ask if its normal to include a tip or what's the norm. Then you won't have to listen to most of these DIY guys speculate...

seems like geting you in and out alive, is the main job,,,, and worth the most tip?

What Tip, don't get me started. If you paid him to drop off and pick up maybe HE should just charge more if he is looking for another hand full of greenbacks.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Alot of bushplanes have a sign inside saying. Tipping the pilot helps him remember where he left you.

If you feel the pilot is friendly and safe, give him 10-20 bucks a person each way and he'll be satisfied. If hes rude and feel hes unsafe, I wouldnt tip.

Tips are retarded. Tell me what the damn price is. I will pay it or I won't. This whole tip gauntlet is getting a little out of control. What's next? A tip jar at the DMV?

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-22-12
>AT 08:07?AM (MST)

>
>slamdunk---Did you read what this thread
>is about because it has
>nothing to do with outfitters
>or an outfitted hunt?

Lol.....guess you got me on this one TG.....i pulled the trigger before i read the entire post.....my bad!! ;-)

In this case I would tip very little if anything. He is not an outfitter that is taking care of you everyday. He isn't cooking your meals, packing your animal etc. I have done several float fishing trips and they drop us off on a lake we float down and they pick us up. Why would I tip that? I don't tip Delta for flying me up there. Now if they went out of their way to accommodate me then yes a tip, but like $150. Just my 2cents. If outfitted and guided hunt I do 10% on the first $5000 and then 5% on the cost of the hunt above $5000, as long as they do a good job. But somebody just spent 5 days with me. On those fly out hunts they fly 4 groups a day out. Won't be long and I'll have to tip the doctor to get a flu shot!

when i lived in alaska it was usually at 50-100$ tip per person and usually a fifth of crown royal when everyone made it back to the airstrip. we were paying more like 600 bucks per person round trip which was just airtime.

p.s a fifth of crown in the bush is better than gold to people who spend a lot of time out there, just my 2 cents

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom