How many rounds?

armdealer

How many rounds of HAND loaded ammunition do yall keep on hand for a particular hunting rifle?

I'm talking about once the barrel is broke in and you get a load dialed in and all other experimentation is done. How many do yall keep on hand for your #1 go to hunting rifle?

Hunting rifles I'm fine with a hundred for each. I don't shoot AR's, so 1-2K in 223/556 is plenty. 5K for handgun, 17HMR and 22 about the same, since I don't shoot ground squirrels anymore.

My low ammo light for the 300 RUM has been flashing for 17 years. I’d like to have 100 rds reloaded but currently cannot find what I need for reloading that thing so I have about 35 rds. 30.06 is down to 20 rds…just cannot find the stuff when I look.

My low ammo light for the 300 RUM has been flashing for 17 years. I’d like to have 100 rds reloaded but currently cannot find what I need for reloading that thing so I have about 35 rds. 30.06 is down to 20 rds…just cannot find the stuff when I look.
What are you in the RUM department?

60 to80 rounds is sufficient enough for my big game hunting rifles and 2k or so for my handguns and predator rifles

I usually have lots of 100 pieces of brass that I use for hunting rifles. Depending on the cartridge, I usually replace the brass every 5-7 loadings and replace the barrel after 3-4 cycles of brass. I keep my rounds in 50 round boxes and use them top to bottom, left to right just like you read. If I reload a partial box, I always leave a piece of empty brass to mark my spot and keep shooting from that point. This ensures that my brass lots maintain congruent numbers of firings throughout the life of the cases.

I usually have lots of 100 pieces of brass that I use for hunting rifles. Depending on the cartridge, I usually replace the brass every 5-7 loadings and replace the barrel after 3-4 cycles of brass. I keep my rounds in 50 round boxes and use them top to bottom, left to right just like you read. If I reload a partial box, I always leave a piece of empty brass to mark my spot and keep shooting from that point. This ensures that my brass lots maintain congruent numbers of firings throughout the life of the cases.
I only do stuff like that if I’ve weighed the cases and turned the necks. Fortunately I don’t have reloading OCD so that only applies to a couple of calibers. :censored:

I see you posted in another forum, the MM of Arizona, and here. You might also want to post in the Facebook hand loading groups as well. You would be asking nothing but reloaders there.

50 is what I try to have loaded and ready for hunting season with all the components on the shelves to do it again and again. I tinker to much to get to many loaded up.

I usually keep 50-100 for a hunting rifle after I have the load developed. And then reload as the brass gets emptied. I have enough components on hand for quite a few rounds, but don't load that many because of the brass and as has been stated, things can change. Lots more for 22 rimfire and 17HMR, but of course I don't load those.

First thing, barrel “break in” is a myth. To answer your question, hunting rifles I load 20 rounds. Steel bangers, varmint rifles, and AR’s 200.

I use maybe a handful of shells/year to sight in and 1 shell/big game animal/year. I don’t long range shoot and 400 yards is about as far as I ever shoot. A box of shells lasts me a long time….especially at todays prices and non-availability. When I go on trips with a flight (like Alaska) I may bring a couple boxes just in case something happens on the flight.

I guess a lot depends on the person and if they like to recreational shoot. I don’t enjoy shooting. I would much rather spend my limited free time scouting and hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom