How many of you wash your car at home?

My car just got washed again last night with soft water.

That's the 3rd time in the last week where it has rained. Before then, it was a very, very long time since my Durango had been washed. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
....whenever we get a good rain going I get on the freeway for about ten miles....turn around for the ten miles home......cleans most of the last years mud from the undercarriage....and it helps to ride the shoulder or center lines where water tends to pool up.....

I live on a gravel/dirt road. My truck gets dirty pretty quickly. A few water spots don't bother me.
As for washing at home, my kids wash my truck or I hit the car wash in town, a few times a year:)

I do what Homer said when the pavement is wet. I usually hand wash my vehicles at home, soft water here. This time of year its not worth washing that often because the roads are muddy and it would be a waste of time because I’m out about every other day and the undercarriage and sides get a regular dose of mud. I still try to have a clean interior. That gets attention at least once a week if not more. It’s a good thing to do when you need a little peace.

I still try to have a clean interior. That gets attention at least once a week if not more. It’s a good thing to do when you need a little peace.
I'm with you on a clean interior. I had a friend (RIP) who usually had more trash in his truck cab than what's at the city dump. You had to push the trash on to the floor to ride in the passenger seat. I would tell him that the board of health was going to condemn his truck.

A wise man once said you can tell everything you need to know about someone by the interior of their vehicle

....whenever we get a good rain going I get on the freeway for about ten miles....turn around for the ten miles home......cleans most of the last years mud from the undercarriage....and it helps to ride the shoulder or center lines where water tends to pool up.....
Same here......aim for the puddles.

My 2003 Tacoma has only been to a car wash one time and that was in Wyoming on a Pronghorn hunt with Kilowatt. Big Piney, if I remember right. I washed off about 800 pounds of snotty Wyoming mud. I don't let anybody change my oil or wash my truck.

I crawled under it the other day to grease the driveline. I hate doing that.

My opinion? - It's a truck for cripes sake!! I wash the mud off with one of the power wand sprayers at the car wash, if it is really bad, and I don't want it dropping off at the house. They give me 5 minutes for $1.75. When I go hunting out of state, I will power wash inside the wheels so they don't vibrate bad at highway speeds. That's about it.

I wash my truck about once every 3 years. Not joking. And when I do I don’t use any soap of any kind.
I just washed mine the other day. Dish soap of course. I was thinking while I was doing it that it's been at least two years.

The best wash job I ever had was in a little town in Mexico. In the early '90s, I had driven my Nissan 4X4 down to the town of Batopilas, in the bottom of Mexico's Copper Canyon. The road from Creel to the bottom was 84 miles of twisty, steep dirt that was barely wide enough for two small vehicles to pass each other. I almost had head-ons a couple times while coming around a blind curve. That leads to a somewhat tight spinchster. ;)

It took most of the day to go 6,000 down in elevation. On my way back up two days later, it started raining and continued until I got to Creel. The truck was a mess.

The area all around the canyon is home to the Tarahumara indians who have lived there for eons. They are noted for their running. In fact, a bunch of them had literally carried a grand piano down into the canyon during the 1800s for the owner of the major gold mine near the village. Ruins of the guy's mansion are still visible, & the piano was housed in the lodge I stayed at.

Anyway, back in Creel, I was filing up with gas when one of the indians, who appeared to be about 20 yrs. old, asked me in Spanish w/ hand motions if I wanted the truck washed. When he told me it would cost me 40 pesos, I wasted no time & asked him where I needed to take it. At the time, I think the exchange was about 13:1, so it was a bit over $3. He had a place set up on a side street. He used two buckets -- one to scrub & one to rinse. I sat in the shade with a cold cerveza and watched him scrub, rinse & thoroughly dry the whole truck & shell. He even had a whisk-like broom to brush out the floor, and he used newspaper for the windows. Although he couldn't do much for the under carriage, I was more than satisfied & gave him 50 pesos. A few days later, I hit a rain storm on the main highway on my way to Puerto Vallarta. It worked wonders on the underside.

From what I understand, the road is now fully paved and only takes a little less than 3 hrs. to the bottom.

This aren't my photos because I don't have any scanned. Thank google. ;)

1627762533482.png

1627762352272.png

1627762399951.png

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom