how many miles?

mntman

Long Time Member
Cuirous to know how many miles hunters put on their boots a year for scouting/hunting one species (any species).

This year I put on about 170 miles scouting and hunting a OTC archery elk unit here in Colorado.
Unsuccesful by the way. Had oppurtunities but passed on the little ones waiting for a bigger bull.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Probably a good 200 miles a year. This year not so much, had alot of honey do's this summer, but tylical years anywhere from 175 - 250 scouting, hunting , hiking.

Probably 60 good steep miles on the archery hunt for deer. I had a spot I was mainly sitting on waiting for one of two different deer to show up. It only happened that they showed up once and I passed on the lesser buck because the big buck was close by. I never did get to shoot at either of them.

I still have the muzzy elk hunt and will probably put another 20 or 30 on for that hunt.

Not a big hiking year for me. The 60 miles I estimated are probably over nearly 20 days of effort.

GoatT, is that for one species or is that for multiple?

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

I don't know how many but I had a hunt up on the boulders that I hiked quite a bit.

My dad drew the Sportsmen's desert sheep tag and we hiked A LOT scouting the different units.

And then I have been hunting deer not to far from my house, but I have done quite a bit of hiking this year. I cant really put a number on it though.

How ever many miles it takes to have my pronghorns completly smooth on the bottoms and all the stitching has gone to hell! You tell me?

According to my GPS, I have logged close to 200 miles on my feet this year and I haven't taken the GPS on 1/3 of the trips. It's the only way I can keep my girlish figure. Hell, if I didn't hunt I would probably weigh 300+ lbs.

It's always an adventure!!!

I usually put on 5-600 miles. This year I walked to the Brooks Range and back just to see if I could do it.

In a typical archery season, it seems to take 6-12 days at about 12 miles per day. It takes approximately 3-4 miles of hiking to get away from the public land crowds.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom