How hunter-friendly are llamas?

G

Grant (Guest)

I know how much llamas can carry and just about everything you can learn by reading llama websites and listening to llama owners. What I don't know is how much care they must be given during a hunt. Horses are great pack animals, but can take a lot of "tending to", if they are not real mountain animals and even then, you have babysit a horse a little much for my preferred hunting method. Can I take a llama in, make camp, hunt all day long, let the animal eat the local plants and give them a drink at night and they are OK? How much tending do they need? How often do they need a drink? Someone out there must use them. Please educate me.

Pleasedear is the man to talk to. However, we used Llamas this year on a couple trips. First of all, make sure the llamas you're taking are experienced packers. Not all llamas are good pack animals.
As far as leaving them all day to hunt, heck yes! We just tied them up long and went. No worry. We offered water at night, but they didn't always take a drink. I think as long as you water them every other day, you're ok.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

They'll let you get within 20 yards sometimes before they spook. Oh yeah.....kinda taste like chicken :)

My wifes' great uncle owns a llama ranch (mainly for a hobby), he has around 60 now. The only bad thing with his llamas though is he does not work with them so they are a little wild.
They don't spook like a horse will which is nice so they are safer. OF course they come from the high mountains so they are a lot more sure footed than a horse.
They are a curious animal which is why many sheep herders will put one or two in with their sheep. If a coyote comes around a llama will go over to check it out and see what it is. With their size of course usually scares a coyote off.
They eat the same thing as a horse so mountain grass won't hurt them though it is higher in protein at least here locally it is.
Just make sure if you get some they are experienced in packing. I can't tell you how they are around dead deer and elk (smell of blood and so on.)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom