How Does Anyone Find A Hunting Buddy and/or Mentor?

LMB

Hello,

Does anyone have advice on how to actually find a hunting buddy / mentor?

My husband has been trying to self-learn how to hunt Mule deer in Unit 39. I'm not a hunter and I'm trying to help but this is not my bag at all, and I have a really busy work schedule so I can't go with him very often.

It's been 3 years and while we've seen deer, it's usually just during scouting trips preseason and then nothing.

It's getting to the point of incredible frustration because we've been doing everything now we've read but nothing comes of it.

He really needs an experienced hunter to help him learn but we don't have any friends that hunt.
We don't have ATVs, dirt bikes, or other vehicles to get way back (can't afford it), so we hoof it. He grew up here, if it helps at all.

First off: good on you reaching out like this!

Maybe some background. Hunting can be a very personal sport, meaning that there are many ways people like to hunt. Some are great with patience, glassing, etc- think bow hunters and those who scout out areas and find a spot. Some are still hunters who enjoy stalking their game. Others are "opportunity" hunters who use vehicles or other means to cover the kinds of country that affords those opportunities. BTW- no problems with "hoofing it"- many hunters focus on that.

I tell you this since it greatly effects who jells well with other hunters. I have had 5 other hunters in my life who I "clicked" with so well that we were 100% aligned on approach, focus, etc. So much fun when everyone is on the same page.

Lastly, hunters are very safety conscious- guns, remote camping, being "way back" from civilization- they need to trust each other.

That said, since your husband is new to this awesome sport, he might not have preconceived notions about approach- which opens up the aperture a bit. Beyond lucking into someone, I would suggest these:

1) Take hunter safety/learning courses. Good chances to meet like-minded people.
2) Keep at it- eventually you will meet someone afield and click with them.
3) You never know- coming to these hunting forums you can develop relationships with some pretty cool people.

But I've found that friends, neighbors and coworkers hunt and sometimes I didn't know it until I brought it up. That's usually the best way.

Not sure if this helped- but always glad to see new hunters joining the sport!

Last edited:
Few suggestions from some who has hunted big game in Idaho for 34 years

Idfg does offer some adult mentor hunting programs talk to them. They are in the business of education. They may have some suggestions for you.
Help someone pack out an animal, if someone knows your willing to work they may be more willing to team up
Go fishing and small game hunting to put yourself in the field more around like minded people
Remember it’s supposed to be fun and meaningful ( I still have to remind myself of that every season when the going gets tough).
Embrace the adventure,seek out new areas while camping etc. You may discover country you enjoy more

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom