How do you treat your optics?? Be honest

southslope82

So how do you guys treat your optics? I thought this would be interesting. I myself treat my 20x60x80 angled lens swarovski spotting scope like it was my first born that is my pride and joy I worked and saved for awhile to buy it so it comes inside after every night and is locked up in a fire proof safe -I absolutley love it- My binos on the other hand are leoupold12x50's olympics I leave in the truck I don't cover up the lens like I should. I bounce them around and take them every time I go out they are always strapped to me. I wouldn't say that I don't take care of them however, I only use lens cloths to clean never a shirt. They 8 times out of 10 get put back in their case, I always forget. I feel they are for using and not for looking at.

I treat mine like I treat everything I own. (pretty crappy) I keep swaroski support busy with eye caps and lense covers. They need a better way to keep the lense cap on. How about two stretchy cords?? Russ

I go with the golden rule, If I treat my optics good they will treat me good. I don't want to have my optics let me down when it counts, so I keep on babying them.

Bushnell Elite 10x43 Bino's
and a cheap (for now)Barska 20x60x60 spotter.

}}-SLIVER-->

Compressed air to clean with a small lens brush I try NOT TO WIPE the Lens with any cloth.

I have a set of Swarovski 10X50s that go everywhere with me. They ride on my center console 24/7 on a dish towel. I do try to keep the lens caps on as best as I can.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-08 AT 11:57AM (MST)[p]

I agree withyou after spending the kind of money my Swarovski 10X50's and my 20X60X80 spotting scope I treat them as good as possible, but I also have friends with the same set-up that throw them around and leave them laying around in there truck or in camp. So depends on the person! For the investment I want them to last along time.
My 2 cents worth!

I treat my optics like gold. Hell, after paying for Swaovski's its like using gold to BUY them!!!! A friend of mine calls his Swaro EL's his baby. fatrooster.

I also lock my swaro's up in the safe after I am done using them(scope and binos). Like you all have said, after spending that kind of money, I want them to last my whole life as well as my kids. I am even scared to clean the lenses for fear of scratching them.

My swaro scope and binos are either in my bedroom in my optics bag when not in use, in my pack or strapped to my shoulders or cased in my optics bag on the seat of my truck when driving.

If I am not looking through them the lens covers are on PERIOD. I use lens brush and optics rags to clean most times. When compressed air is available I use that. At least once a year, usually around this time of year, I give them a thourough wipe down and cleaning with compressed air.

I hope to never spend that kind of money again, hopefully I have them forever.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-08-08 AT 09:01AM (MST)[p]I never put caps on any of my glasses or my spotting scopes.

I clean them when they need it. I find that If my optics are not ready to use, i wont use them when I should. most bino covers on the newer binos are NOT worth much, especially if you ever hunt use them in the wind. First thing I do is take the covers off and throw them in the trash. . . I take bit better care of my lenses, but not much. They seldom - almost never are in a case, and hardly ever have lens caps/covers on them. I do put lens covers over the bigger lenses when I transport them over long distances, but 90% of the time they are ready to shoot. If you think your swaros are $$ try buying top end camera lenses. . . I could buy 5 80mm swaros for one lens. . .

The point is this, it's your money, you own the product, treat it however you want, but dont buy them then keep them put away in a case because you dont want to get them dirty. If you keep them put away, I know you wont use them when you should, it's some kind of physics principal, if you cover your glasses you use them less.

The only real issue you have with the newer optics are the coatings, they do scratch so be careful about scratching the glass, but other than that, unless you throw them on the pavement, they dont need babied that much. Dont let water drops dry out on the glass, it will leave residue and damage the coating. . .

www.tonybynum.com

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Zeiss makes some lens cleaning wipes, they kinda look like an alcohol pad. My father in law uses them for his eye glasses and I robbed some from him. They work great. Not sure where to get them from though.

}}-SLIVER-->

I know a guy that uses them on his Swaro binos and his Zeiss Spotter, but I have no idea how they affect the coatings. The fact that Zeiss puts them out may suggest they are OK to use, however, the fact they are sold in the optical department at WalMart also may suggest they are for simply cleaning eyeglasses.

Those Zeiss or any other traded lens cleaning cloths bought at WallyWorld or COSTCO will scratch a lens.

They will scratch the lens on Glasses (reading) as the Eye Dr. showed me how my old ones were scratched from using those wipes.
Lots of fine swirl marks on the glasses.....so don't use them on expensive Binos or Scopes either.

Use a Bulb experator, or aerospray (can air). Hold the score or binos upside down when applying the air to dust the lens. Then use a fine hair bristle brush to dust the dirt off. Use the expensive lens cleaner paper at camera stores as the final step and let air dry.

NEVER use a snott rag, TP etc.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom