How Come is This?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
After a day of fixing other peoples frozen pipe breaks, i come home and water is a inch deep, gushing out from a broken pipe behind my fridge. Damn!! 15-22 below zero this AM depending who you talk to. It's cold in Kali too!

So maybe i know a bit about frozen water and what it can do but i sure don't know it all. Here is a example of what i don't know and am wondering, How come is this??

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/full_story.asp?StoryNumber=50683

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Super pure water.

2311idiot.jpg

Don't know about anybody elses Truck/Water?

But my water bottles have been froze solid in just one night for several days now!

I didn't need to turn any of them over to Freeze,they were already Froze!

So sage?

You send yourself a Bill?:D

"""Supporting Speed Limits doesn't make You Anti Car"""

No & You'll never Fix STUPID or WACKO'S by changing Gun Laws You Dumb BITTCH!

Yeah??

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

It froze because Chuck Norris told it to

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yes super pure water in a bottle without imperfections will some times do what was shown in the video.

2311idiot.jpg

I got lucky. The water hadn't been leaking/ gushing out very long and i had a wet/dry vacuum handy. Made a bit of a mess but the fix once i got the wall open wasn't too bad. I'd send myself a bill but don't know if i could afford to pay it. :)

Joey

No or few dissolved ions/minerals!

OK,... you're not pulling my leg are you? lol

I'll buy into that, never heard or seen anything like it before.

Joey

Not that I wouldn't try to pull your leg but no I'm not. Water starts freezing at an impurity in the water first then the crystals stack one upon the other. I forgot what it's called because I have been out of college for almost 40 years.

2311idiot.jpg

Well Hey, who says there ain't nothing worth learning on MM?

Thanks Overton! Hey, how about the woopin them 9ers put on those Packers, eh? Way nice!!

Joey

Naked Science=

At equilibrium, pure water becomes solid at =?C = 32?F because the kinetic energy of every molecule has the possibility to being released to the environment, and then the molecule can bind to other molecules forming the crystal of ice.

In a non-equilibrium situation, the molecules don't have such a possibility to immediately release their energy to the environment, so, if they release their energy, they do it to molecules close to them, which then heats up, breaking the bind they could have formed at the beginning. Furthermore, if the water is inside a closed bottle, the improved pressure generated inside from water approaching 0?C, will prevent it to freeze very fast.

I met this girl at band camp once that was frigid at room temp.. explain that one!

Slick

"The Road goes on forever & the Party never Ends"

>
>That proves she wasn't a Utard.
>
>
>
>
>
2311idiot.jpg

She was a Alabama cheerleader.

Slick

Mosnar, help us out.. in that stupid f'n picture you are holding the world like it is your weiner and have your finger on southeast Asia? Please explain.

Slick

Geez!

The fibromialgic nesophylum content of H20 becomes catamorphic at 0 degrees and converts liquid to solid in direct proportion, exponentially, of course, to the first frozen molecule. This phenomenon can be counteracted by a small application of dilithium chrystals.

In layman's terms,........ "It's colder than chit there!"

So now you know.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

>Mosnar, help us out.. in that
>stupid f'n picture you are
>holding the world like it
>is your weiner and have
>your finger on southeast Asia?
>Please explain.
>
>Slick
>
>"The Road goes on forever &
>the Party never Ends"

That ain't my weiner and it's not really SE Asia. Good gawd how many times do I have to splain what it means?

2311idiot.jpg

NVB, LoL, Good one!

Joey

No need to be impressed. He just put his reading glasses on for once in order to see the picture better.

RELH

I've said it many times RANS but they didn't Listen!

It's a Pictionary Quiz!

It's RANS!

And it means:

I've got the World by the Balls!:D

A couple days ago I put some water in a 2 cup pyrex glass container and put in microwave for some hot chocolate... Normally it takes 3 minutes to boil but for some reason nothing was happening even at 3:45..I figgured my microwave took a crap but when I opened the door and grabbed the container it erupted into a full boil..I'm talkin' hillbilly turkey fryer raging boil... I guess weird things can happen on the other temperature spectrum of water as well....

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Snort, you must have some of that pure Canada type water too! :)

I got me one of them microwave jobbers now too. I'm still trying to figure how to use the damn thing. I got popcorn down pretty good but the Chocolate chip cookies i tried didn't come out fer #####! Never thought of cooking water but that'll be a decent way to wash the dishes if i can't afford to pay the Propane Co. ;-)

I put a couple bottles a water out to freeze shortly after i started this thread. We were getting down to 15 below regular like and some nights below that. Both times, i had a big plastic ice cube in the morning. So much for the junk they sell us around here as bottled water.

Joey

Bill in MI,

Thanks for the link, I guess it's a rare event...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom