How Big

R

rpleish

My hunt for antelope starts this week on Deseret, and I am still trying to figure out how to judge a goat. If anyone has some photos of the size of bucks I need to be looking for I would appreciate it.

I am no expert, but I have been around some big antelope. I think cutters above the ears and what looks like mass. I like to look at shape also, liking the tips to curl in a little. Antelope seem to be the hardest animal to judge, but a big antelope just looks big. Best of luck and have a safe hunt.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

Get a copy of Tony Grimmett's video "Size is everything", and pay attention to his scoring tips.

This explanation from Eastmans really helped me. They call it the 4x7 rule. You can find it in this article on their website

http://www.eastmans.com/tips.php?requesteddate=60925

My variation is 7 inches length from base to base of prong (this means prong will start just above the ears); 7 inches length from base of prong to ivory tips; 7 inch bases (about the size of making a circle w your thumb and bird finger), 7 inch mass measurement just below the prong (usually this very close to the base--sometimes even a little bigger), and 7 inches total in the two mass measurements above the prong (this is hard to calculate. I think you just have to look at enough horns to know what mass above the prongs looks like.)

Post your photos when you get back. You will have a great hunt

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom