How big is this Idaho Moose?

J

jtim

My friend and I came across these moose this morning. What do you think the big one will score and how wide is he?

44c44912625d4335.jpg

44c4493e62cb902b.jpg

I can already tell the larger bull will make the shiras B&C mins. He looks like when he is fully developed he may make the magical 50" spread mark. Having forked brows will definitely help his score dramatically even though the forks aren't very far out on the brows. Forked brows on this bull will likely add another 5 to 7" to the palm measurement. He doesn't have super long palms but his antler spread more than makes up for it!

It looks like his right side is a little better scoring than his right side. It's hard to say from the 2 photos but he may have 8 or so pts on his right side and 9 or 10 pts on his left side. Palm pts at the tip of the paddles are the last thing to develope on a moose so you may be waiting a few more weeks to tell. He looks like he may have 9 or 10" wide palms (pretty tough to tell from the 2 pics). Most shiras have about 6 1/2" circumferences around the bases and that is what I'd guess on this bull.

He is definitely a bull in his prime and I have a feeling he will definitely make B&C. I wouldn't hesitate to whack him if I had a tag and the season was open! If you add up all the measurements I've listed he out to score very well. If you or someone else ever gets a tape on him I'd be interested to know how close my "uneducated" guess is! If there are any moose "experts" out there I would also be curious what you think.

Better question is where is that Idaho moose since I have a tag this year. Great picture and would love to see one like that in September. I went out two weeks ago to my unit and didn't see any bulls but a bunch of cows/calfs.

Thanks for getting the heart pounding!!

Nice pic's jtim. Beauty of a bull! No chance that is up in unit 4/4a is it??? Had to ask, I have a tag up there this year and the terrain looks awefully familiar. Good work on the pic's. Gets the blood pumpin' for September!!

Jaxon

You really need a good side profile to judge palm length. He's got a lot of growing to do on the tops of those palms. He lays out quite a bit, so it wouldn't suprise me if he is 50". He's definitely a booner bull that would be hard for most guys to pass up. Get back in there and get us some more pics!

Nice pics! I'd like to have him in my crosshairs this fall if only I would have won that supertag.

I agree with jims....he's a booner candidate, for sure. Shoot, wait the 60 days, and enter him in the all-time book.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom