Hot weather moose help.

K

kjw

Just curious if anyone has some advise for early season moose in WY. I have been high and low and everywhere in between. Seen some here and there. Sign is everywhere. My question is with the weather still so warm, it seems like they are timbered up pretty tight. Is there anyway to hunt them with the heat or is it a patience thing and i just have to wait them out?? I am a first time moose hunter, goin with archery tackle as long as i can so any advice is more than welcome....happy hunting

There are as many ways to hunt moose as any other animal.

I have been fortunate enough to be on several moose hunts in Wyo and I would hunt Early in the morning and late evenings around the willows, bogs, ponds, meadows etc.

If that does not pay off I would slip along the ridges and glass down into the deeper timbered areas. Again early and late.

As you know, they are BIG hot animals and they are not fond of the heat!

2 years ago when I was there they got really rutty by about the 3rd week of Sept and the last week I called in a good bull and my son arrowed it. Cool hunt!

I should have another tag next year so maybe you can give me tips on what worked for you!

Best of luck,
Zeke

I had a similar experience with my Wyoming Moose hunt. I scouted early in the year and hardly saw a moose. Then I went back in mid September and started seeing quite a few more. By the time the rifle season opened they had come out of the woodwork and were chasing cows pretty hard. I killed my bull while he was following 3 cows.
Zeke is right! (Zeke is always right and if you don't believe me just ask him! LOL)
Moose are huge black animals and they soak up a tremendous amount of heat if they are out in the sun. So until it cools off you just won't see them. They will be shaded up.
There are also a lot less moose in Wyoming than when I hunted so there are less to look at.
If you are finding tracks that means they are still there. I believe if you want to hunt them early, you will just have to go into the shade and find them. I did find the bulls more in the timber than the Willows, but that was just my experience.
Good luck. They are fun to hunt for sure!

Great advise so far. It should be the rare occassion in heat like this that you would see them in the open much during the day. Wait out willow bottoms and boggy areas in the evening. be patient, you archery guys are good at that. If you are seeing sign they will show themselves eventually. Hunting the dark timber with a bow looking for a bedded moose is a tough deal. Best of luck. Make sure you post some pics after he is down. What area do you have?

thanks for the advice guys...sounds like patience is what i need most. Hopefully get lucky and one will step out but i cant wait to experience the rut either. Mulecreek.....I am in area 22. Seen lots of good area in there. So far i just plan on getting high and lettin the swarovski's do their work. Its my first moose tag so i am beyond excited!!!

I'd look for a very steep sloped drainage (not cliffs) near water with some thick cover in the bottom.

Scouting should show you where they hang out, when you find their area, it will be obvious they hang out there. Also, I agree the rut makes it much easier - I'd get after it Sep 20 on.

Also, make sure to double lung, one probably won't do it.

kjw, Which side of hwy 189 are you focusing on? North or South? I will be around Noble Basin over the Labor day weekend. I will let you know what I see. I have seen 2 bulls hanging out by my cabin. Its in area 25 right on the far south border of 22.

Been spending more of my time on the other side mulecreek. Jack creek and Riling draw. That would be great for an update from that side of the highway. Takin any help i can get. Thanks alot, i look forward to hearing back from you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom