hot weather antelope

• Thread starter 231nontypicalmuledeer
  • Start date

231nontypicalmuledeer

what do antelope do when the temps get to 100+ degrees? do they change their feeding/watering habits? going on a hunt in a few weeks and it could be HOT,,, just looking for some ideas on how to glass during the heat of the day.

My experience has been that they don't change their feeding habits because they are already use to the heat (100+). Midday heat waves make it tough for the ol optics. Hopefully you have a good setup.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

+1 to Dr_hunter.

Addition; Look around water too. When I hunter them in NV a couple years ago it was quite hot and the pronghorn went to water every day.

Zeke

Yep, water will be the hot ticket. Antelope will still feed and water regularly. I don't care what kind of optics you have, those day-time thermals are a bummer. Make sure you spend plenty of time glassing early and late in the day. Be in position to glass at first light and stay out till dark to take advantage of the good light.

When it's real hot, one thing I would make sure to do is get out while it's still dark. My experience in Nevada in August has been that I've seen some of the best bucks watering very early, and then heading for shade soon after. Last year, my son and I were on an 85" buck that another hunter killed, and they saw it in their headlights when driving out, and it was already returning from drinking. If those guys didn't see it in their headlights, my son would have killed it, but simple luck made them aware of it. Some of the best bucks I've seen in California and Nevada have been very early and late drinkers, and spend their days in thick cover, not what most hunters would expect.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom