horses or mules or alpacas

S

scopeitout

hey what do you think is best? looking at some pack trips this next little while, just wondering what you all think. Is one better than the other? thanks for your help

Horse and mules can carry MUCH more than llamas (not alpacas). BUT, they and their equipment (tack to trailers) are MUCH more expensive and it is necessary to work with them much more.

In a situation where you can use them regularly, no llamas in the world can even be mentioned in the same breath with experienced mountain horses or mules.

HOWEVER, for most people, llamas are infinitely easier to "get along with", don't spook, eat less, cost less and DO NOT require a drink on a daily (or even every other day if it's cool or moist weather, as it is during hunting season).

It really does depend on what you're doing and your circumstances but if you are really asking, think hard about the llamas, because they are SO much easier. (Yes, I've done both.)

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-11 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]I cant speak about the alpacas since I really have no experience with them . Seem like they would be ok , if a guy is just looking for a pack animal to carry smaller loads .

My vote would be for a good mountain horse every time . I'll get some flack from the mule guys , but I just don't care for mules . I have ridden a few mules , and rode a ton of miles with guys on mules . The mule guys are allways tellin me there mules will go places a horse can't , but I have rode with them in those suppossed places , and every horse I have been on has done just fine .

The other thing I don't care about mules is the extra tack . The britchen and hard to fit saddle's for mules seems like a pain for me . One thing I allways look for in a good mountain horse is good withers . I have taken horses down scary steep slopes and never had a issue .

I guess it depends on what your really looking to do ? Having horses or mules is a life style and if you want good ones and a good experience you need to use them all the time . I guess the other question is do you want to ride or hike and lead the pack animal . I'll do my time hiking when its huntin time or looking for sheds or just some cardio exercise . I know with horses its nothing for me to do 40 or more miles in a day on a trail I want to check out or just range riding .

+1 to what foundation said. Ridin both, a "good" mule is great, but they are hard to find and $$$$. Taken my horses a lot of places and packed a lot of weight on them. Nothing like going in 15 miles eating steak and taking a hot shower every night.

scopeitout there is a old saying " Nothing better than a good mule , but there is nothing worse than a bad mule " .

I think there are a lot more bad mules out there than good ones . There are lots of good books out there which can enlighten you , and there is nothing better than just spending some time with each animal and then you can make up your own mind .

I'll be the first to admit that I have predujices towards certain four legged animals , but they are all based on my experiences . If a guy has bad experiences with mules or a certain breeds of horses , one can't help but to lump them in to a general catergory .

If you have never owned horses or mules start out with horses...

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

you cant rope or team penn or sort cows off a llama. and get laughed at if you do it off a mule. i like animals that can be used year round. horses for me

If you are only going to use your animals for a hunting trip or two per year stay away from horses. As someone above said they are a lifestyle, not something to take out once a year and expect a good experience. If you have other uses for them throughout the year and want to live the life of a horseman, who uses them while hunting too, they are fun.

Our family started with LLamas, went to horses and mules later. Not a bad way to go. As other have said, horses and mules are a life style choice and require more than once or twice a year riding to be any good.

That being said, we have had one really good mule and one really good horse. Then a few bad mules and a few just ok horses throughout the years. But I would not trade a really good horse or mule for anything, there is no comparison. But, it is hard or expensive to find a really good mule and you may have to go through several horses before you find a good mountain horse.

Go on a couple of pack trips with a pro packer first.
Pay attention to what it takes to have a successful trip.

After that, make a decision as to the sanity of the investment......time and money.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

My brothers buckskin gelding went anywhere his mule went and we we hunt in some pretty nasty stuff. Having said that, mules live longer, and IMO are smarter and more durable than a horse. However a good horse is a little easier to come by than a good mule. Whichever you choose, make sure the bugger will neck rein, stop and start on command, and pack meat.I have had one too many bad wrecks with animals that won't pack meat! Most importantly, make sure the animal doesn't have any bad vices like kicking, bucking, spooking, or stopping to crop grass while your heading down the trail. You want an animal that is easy to catch in the pasture and overall has a gentle disposition.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom