Hornady InterBond vs. InterLock

DonVathome

Very Active Member
Which is better for deep penetration on very big game (Alaska/Yukon) moose, the Interbond or the Interlock?

LAST EDITED ON May-27-12 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]The Interbond is designed for the bigger animals like elk and moose that require deeper penetration than what the Interlock will normally provide before maximum expansion. According to Hornady, the GMX is more along the lines of the SST and may not penetrate a bigger animal nearly as much as the Interbond before maximum expansion. It's a lead free bullet that was basically designed to fill a gap when CA outlawed lead in bullets. I handload their BTSP Interlock bullets in three different calibers for varmints up through deer in .243, 25-06, and 30-06, and then go to their Interbond for elk in my 30-06s. The Interbond shoots to the same zero in my 30-06s as the Interlock, so it doesn't even require that I change my scope settings. I would use the Interbond for moose if I ever go after one, but moose aren't presently in my plans.

To me, Remington core-loks and Hornady interlocks are pretty comparable. As stated, the interbond is a step up. Don't know anything about the GMX.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Interbonds are great, likely deeper penetrating in the same weight, but you can go heavier with interlock. GMX are even mkore weight constrained than interbond as copper is less dense... They may even be more prone to tip and tumble because of the longer length per weight...

Use .30 cal for example, you can go 165 max GMX, 180 max interbonbd, 220 max interlock.

If it were just moose, where you most likely can get reasonablly close, I'd go with a 220 interlock be it a 30-06 or .300 mag of some sorts... But the 180 interbond would be fine and give better long range performance.

Thanks guys those were about the conclusions I was coming too. I miss the days with the "dumbed down" chart with pics of animal and a line showing which bullet covers what game!

I am looking at the interbond 150 grain superperformance. They make 150 grain and 165 and 180. The 165 actually has more KE. The 150 grain is only slightly behind in KE - maybe 5% less so IMO the difference is minor.

My other question, going 1 step further, is using the same bullet on caribou (same trip) I know it would be better to go with a GMX or maybe a interlock but I would prefer to use the same bullet for both. I figure it would just not punch quite as big of a hole but still work great for bou.

I can say the SST did a number on the mule deer I shot. Wow the exit hole was unreal.

I used a 150 grain Interbond on my bear last year, using the Hornady Custom ammo through a 300 Weatherby. I've been VERY impressed with the performance of the Interbond. For what it's worth, I've hand loaded a million recipes and can't get anything that my rifle likes as much as that Hornady Custom. Shoots a TIGHT group.

LAST EDITED ON May-28-12 AT 06:12AM (MST)[p]Don---You should be okay with the 150 grainer, although personally I would probably move up to the 165 or maybe even the 180 myself. It should do fine for your caribou too. I used the SST one year on deer, as well as by mistake on a cow elk one evening and quit using them because they blow up way too fast for my liking. None of my rifles have had anything other than possibly a trigger job and all will shoot under MOA with Hornady Interlocks and Interbonds. The .243 Sako I'm hoping to use this Fall if I draw my antelope tag will shoot dime size groups all day and I plan to use the 100 grain Interlock for that hunt.

My experience with hornady has been good accuracy, but with very inconsistent bullet performance... The only hornady bullet I shoot is the v-max out of my 22-250.. Other than that its Nosler bullets for this guy!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-28-12 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]

I would personally go with the 165 gr interbond. The interbond should make a plenty big hole without coming apart like the interlock can. That will be the bullet I choose if I ever get picked for a Utah bull elk.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks guys at 100 yards (my most likely shot) the 150 grain has 69 ft/lb less energy then the 165 (not a lot). At 400 yards the difference is 93 ft/lb trajectory varies by only 1/2" at 300 yards so they are pretty close to the same.

Griz country so the 165 is looking better and better.

One thing to take into concideration----

Your bullet pass thru on a 3 year old 130 class muley is not really something to compare with a bull moose/bull 'bou.

Myself--and my bull moose harvest have been with a 100 grain Thunderhead 3-blade broadhead.

I think you will be fine with your plan though as many-many-many guys have taken 'bou/moose over the years and years in Alaska with less than your rifle/bullet set-up.

Enjoy,

Robb

LAST EDITED ON May-29-12 AT 09:15AM (MST)[p]Topgun

What was the result of the SST on the cow elk?

Also, what caliber?

Sage---I hate to even think about it as it was the only big game animal of over 100 that I've shot that went more than 50 yards and it was due to my sheer negligence. I was using a 30-06 with 150 grain SSTs for the first time for deer and also had a cow elk permit that I was going to use the Interbonds for. The first night of the deer season we got there in time to hunt the last couple hours and I loaded up with the SSTs not even thinking about taking the Interbonds along with me. About a half hour before dark I got excited when I ran into a big bunch of elk and I picked out a cow that seemed to be an older animal with no calf. I set up on my tripod and wacked her right through the ribs a few inches behind her right front leg as she was standing broadside at about 110 yards. At the shot the herd of close to 50 animals took off in a big cloud of dust with her in their midst and they went down into a small canyon and up the other side. I figured she was dead in the first 50 yards or so and gathered up my stuff, but when I went over there I never found a trace of her until 10AM the following morning. We finally found her dead with no blood trail whatsoever that next morning and she had gone 125 yards to the edge of the canyon and was laying on her side under a juniper. It was warm that week and the meat on the ground side was all sour and not useable. An autopsy of the near right side found a jillion pieces of shrapnel as the bullet had blown up on the rib and right lung with almost no penetration. I shot a 4x4 mulie later that week that was trotting almost straight at me at less than 100 yards and I needed to shoot before he got over a rise. That SST blew up on the inside front shoulder/chest area and put a hole in him that you could put a sofball in. Again the penetration probably was no more than 6-8 inches on that much smaller animal! That was the end of the SSTs for me and I've been very happy with their BTSPs I went to after that hunt ever since.

Yup, like I've said a hundred times "fagile bullets are nothing new"!
For all those who have killed with them, congratulations, but I'll take a bullet with penetration qualities for larger big game animals.
Thanks for the info TG.
Zeke

I love Interbonds - killed elk, deer and antelope easily. I tried GMX two years ago and killed 2 elk, 1 mule deer buck and 2 antelope with it. The GMX provided diameter sized holes with no blood trails. The mule deer had both front legs broken and I couldn't find an entrance nor exit hole in the hide from the outside. The first elk I shot at 100 yards and watched it go over a little finger out of sight. No hair nor blood on the ground. I though I had somehow missed a chip shot. I followed its foot prints and would have missed it had it not been doing a death kick. The second elk I couldn't find the entrance hole nor bullet when we I quartered the elk.

In my opinion through use, I think GMX suck. I'd pick interbonds. You'll have a blood trail and will find an expanded bullet in the off side hide when skinning.

Thanks guys I am planning on using the interbonds. I was not going to use the SST but I was mentioning that I was beyond happy with them for deer. I would no shoot anything bigger then a mule deer with them.

They are on order now and if they shoot good I plan to use them I just have to decide on 150 grain vs 165

You're on the right track with the interbonds but I'd use at least a 165gr bullet and perferably a 180 for something as big as an Alaska/Yukon moose. The "longer" bonded bullet will penetrate better because there's more bullet to peel (mushroom) before you run out of shank (weight, which aids in penetration).
There's not much difference in energy but the bullet performance will be slightly better.... but.... they can be killed with about anything if everything goes well.
As usual, just my 2 cents for free,
Zeke

+2 Zeke!

It is all about shot placement.......under 50 yard recovery when ya seal-da-deal with that first / only/ shot.

Robb

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-12 AT 06:50PM (MST)[p]I have shot Hornady's in my 7Mag, and used them in a 300 Win Mag on an elk hunt last year. Results are below:

300 Win Mag, 180 grain Hornady Superformance Interbond, 350 yards, 87% weight retention. Bullet stopped just inside the skin on the opposite side. Not only was I hooked on Hornadys, now I'm really hooked!

ColoradoElkHunt2011032.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

FYI I shot the 150 grain:

1. Interbond super performance, did NOT soot good, inaccurate.

2. Interbond "regular" shot great!

This was at 200 yards and I switched back and forth to be sure it was the bullet not anything else, it was. The extra speed did not work in my gun, to bad.

FYI 30-06 interbond are on sale for $24 or so on Hornady's website, that is a really good price for a premium bullet!

That's exactly why you need to put different brands and even different ones of the same brand like you did to see what a particular gun likes! If you stay with those 150s you will be fine as that's what I've used on the last two cow elk I've shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom