Home made parts washer

T

TAGATTRACTER

I know this is a hunting site but thought this would interest a few on here.

I started with 1/4 inch plate cut to size for the tank. Then welded a piece of angle iron to the bottom. The sides are angled for two reasons, 1 was to cut down the amount of water to heat and two was to have all sludge and crud run right to the middle for easy clean out.
9750wash_tank_004.jpg

The next step involved welding a 6 inch burner pipe into the tank. I could have bought a bunch of unions to make the turns thru the tank but saved a pile of money by just cutting and welding the 6 inch pipe.

2186wash_tank_017.jpg

The next step involved making the frame and drive assembly for the Conveyor belt that runs the length of the machine- 19 feet.

719conveyor_parts_washer_003.jpg

The was alot of hours into making each of these Conveyor supports with drive lugs. They are simple black pipe with a bunch of holes drilled and lugs welded into to rotate as the conveyor rolls over. These are non driving and mainly to support the Conveyor. They are supported to the frame by some high temp nylon bushings .
1258conveyor_parts_washer_007.jpg

One end of the conveyor has the belt adjustment.

6923conveyor_parts_washer_008.jpg

The drive end of the conveyor is a single 1/2 hp electric motor that runs through two browning gear reduction boxes. The gear reducers and conveyor drive are connected with chain and sprocket.
6749conveyor_parts_washer_031.jpg

The absolute best part of the machine is the burner. This thing we be fired by a waste oil burner. It will run strictly on the excess used transmission fluid we accumulate from the torque converters we rebuild. Free fuel !!

3240conveyor_parts_washer_032.jpg

Next was to mount the pump and plumb the jets. There will be three rows of 9 jets below the conveyor spraying up and three rows of 9 jets above , spraying down. The last step was to build a spray cabinet cover. I made this out of aluminum for corrosion resistance and light weight for easy removal to clean jets .
2681conveyor_parts_washer_015.jpg

Almost done. Wire the whole thing up and a few odds and ends.

3354conveyor_parts_washer_024.jpg

I'm not a mechanic, but I think I have parts washer envy.... That's awesome

Way cool!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Tag,
So, bottom line.. How much did that cost to make? How much is a similar commercial washer? Net savings to you because you had the ability and initiative to build your own?..

Looks to be well engineered and I hope it serves you well for a very long time..

There probably isn't a similar commercial washer, but, knowing what materials and gear boxes cost, I can tell you that it wasn't cheap to build this one!It looks like you did a great job!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I started this project right after Thanksgiving and figured I would be done by Christmas. Ha. Working on it a few hours at a time, it has taken quite a bit longer than I thought.

There are conveyor washers on the market that start around 16,000 and go up to around 36,000 in this size range. Even the highest priced washers are not built very well. Small pumps , few jets, thin steel walls, cheesy conveyor systems, no gear reduction, etc.

I built this one to last my lifetime and will have around 7,000 in it when finished. I was able to get alot of the components from a local place called Apache Reclamation. The stuff is used and very cheap compared to new. The biggest expense will be in electrical.

With any luck I will post a finished photo tomorrow.

Very resourceful! Most of the fabrication outfits I've worked for would hire someone with your skills.

sweet project. how many amps do you get drawing on that bad boy.

is it 277/480 system or 120/208 or something else.

JFP!

That's what I call a TINKER Artist Right There!

You get a PATENT on it yet?:D

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

You've got some mad psycho skills Tag!
What are you using such a large scale parts washer for?

Nicely done, For a minute I thought you was making a gold dredger with a great sluice box. You got some fab skills.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

There has not been a patent filed so steal away. :)

It is finished and works great.

The Converters are cut open on this lathe and broken open to drain the trans fluid into this first tank under the conveyor. The parts are laid out and washed in exactly one minute. That should boost production so I can surf MM more.
3027finished_wash_tank_001.jpg

Clean parts out.

6848finished_wash_tank_003.jpg

I still plan to build in an air knife at this stage to blow the Converters dry.

Here is a pic of the Electric controls that I am smart enough to have a professional install. Pretty nice used panel for 100.00.
463finished_wash_tank_004.jpg

The entire shop is feed power by these three phase 240/480 Buss Ducts. All our equipment can be moved to any location and simply plugged back in.
7095finished_wash_tank_005.jpg

Here it is. All finished. I should have even more time to hunt now.

430tank_001.jpg

Dang nice work TAG! Impressive. Them guys from that TV show Gold Rush could sure use your services and help.

F-er. Where you been ?

I heard there is a mechanic job opening on Gold Rush. I probably wouldn't fit in though. Those dudes are way too laid back for me.

Thanks again all for the kind words.

TAG
computer issues at work. Only place to safely do anything right now is from home until they get the main puter (mine) fully functional again.

Yep them Gold Rush boys are looking for help. Don't look like good sand rail country up there though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom