Home at 3am

Hey DM...looking forward to the story after you get some rest.

BTW, any snow? Any bison heading down low?

Thanks.

We didn't have any new snow there. It wasn't super cold, but nice that the road was frozen.

We got there about 715 am.
I went to McCook Ridge and then looked around some places near the landing strip. Then I just headed to Desperation Point. I saw the elk about 1200 yards out . So I hiked down and up a couple ridges until I was out 320 yards and made a clean shot.
We didn't see any Bison. The Deer rut is winding down. It sure was a beautiful and exciting day.
Hope you get one Sherlock!

2925620161201102941.jpg

Congrats on the meat in the freezer. Hope to do the same with my late season cow tag.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

DM so happy to see you out fishing and hunting. God bless the amazing American medical professionals and your trust and faith that you were going to overcome your inflictions.

I hope that ever mouthful of your elk is a thrill off the grill. ?.

DC

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-16 AT 06:34PM (MST)[p]Thank you all for the congrats. I am doing well - actually very well and have my vigor back. I bought a Cabelas Meat Grinder today and will be making Elk Stix and Summer Sausage. Also going to make plenty of the best Elk Jerky that can be.
I have some of the meat wrapped, some ready for Jerky and Sausage and hung the hind quarters up to see how aging does. This was a very big elk I'm happy and grateful.
ElkAssassin hope to see you again someday.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-16
>AT 06:34?PM (MST)

>
>Thank you all for the congrats.
>I am doing well -
>actually very well and have
>my vigor back. I bought
>a Cabelas Meat Grinder today
>and will be making Elk
>Stix and Summer Sausage. Also
>going to make plenty of
>the best Elk Jerky that
>can be.
>I have some of the meat
>wrapped, some ready for Jerky
>and Sausage and hung the
>hind quarters up to see
>how aging does. This was
>a very big elk I'm
>happy and grateful.
>ElkAssassin hope to see you again
>someday.

Ya!

We'll Meet up again Someday!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-16 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]Finally a few minutes to post. After a long trip there we stayed at Comfort Inn in Roosevelt. I brought a 4 season tent for camping this time as the snow , rain and leaking tent ruined the last trip.
The next morning we left at 525 am and drove to the Books. Arrived at 1st shooting light and glassed a couple canyons. The Deer
were out everywhere but were mostly dinks and a couple pisscutters.No Elk in sight yet.
I went to a bigger canyon around 9 am and walked to where I'd seen a Bull the week before. Out about 1100 yards it looked like an elk laying down. My friend said he saw 4 elk about a mile out so I decided it was time to move. I hiked down and over a couple small cliffs on the upper Ridge, and got out the Rangefinder. The cow was about 550 yards out so I used another Ridge for cover and made it to 322 yards then loaded the chamber when the cow stood up. One shot through the lungs put her down exactly where she stood.
It was so excited work as usual and we got home about 18 hours after the shot.
I have lots of Deer points for Utah but haven't drawn yet. I'm not sure if I will use them on Book Cliffs or not now, but it sure is a magnificent area to hunt.
I could make longer shots with My Kimber but under 500 yards it's extremely accurate and I don't want to shoot long range anyway.
The Elk Snack Stix are excellent and this week I will start on Jerky and Summer Sausage. My wife made Elk Steaks slow cooked in brown gravy last nite and I was in heaven eating one at work today. It's fine table fare and I called in my Harvest Report already. I love to hunt and fish and I'm thankful my Father taught me to love the outdoors.

Amen, DM! I'm glad my Dad taught me the same. I am teaching my son to follow in his Grandpas and his Dads footsteps. We'll (me, my son and my Dad) be leaving for Utah to kill a cow elk on December 16th. My son, Canyon, has his second cow elk tag in 3 years. We are looking forward to a fun trip. I'll definitely post up some pics. Glad to see you're better, DM.

Steve

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-16 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]That's awesome Wiszard. That sounds like a really great family trip. I will be waiting to see those Pics and hear about it. Sometimes a hunt where you can relax and enjoy famiky is better than the pursuit of a Trophy!
And for feeling well I am really happy. Last year I was so fatigued and overweight I couldn't handle the high altitude steep hunts. My liver is really healing well so far.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom