Hobo Spider

R

riflescope

Caught one of these nasty little critters in my house this morning in a sticky trap. I have two little girls so this bothers me.

Any tips or suggestions?

LAST EDITED ON May-16-12 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]We've got sticky traps all over. Spring and fall seem to be the worst for them. They usually travel in pairs from my experience. I live in Evanston Wy and it has only been the last 4 or 5 years since they started showing up, but boy they seem to be doing well here. I absolutely hate them! They look as big as a silver dollar and they will actually be aggressive. My wife goes nutszoid when she finds one. Spray and bug bombs do not kill them. Only sticky traps work, and put in the right places, work well. Put them in corners, along walls, by doorways, etc. Look up the results of a bite and you will even be more paranoid. A hole the size of a moon crater rots out of where ever they bite you! I've trapped as many as 6 or 7 on one sticky trap. Doesn't matter how much sealing of cracks etc. I do, they seem to find a way in, probably looking for warmth. If you want to know what the heebie-jeebies feel like, just run into one of these things. First reaction is spasmodic. Next you want to grab a gun!

hell I thought the black widows was bad I get alot of them.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for the info so far guys. Yeah, the wife freaked out about finding this one this morning. I got about 10 sticky traps throughout the house and plan on adding more now. I've seen pics of what their bite does to people and man their bite is mean.

I get these things all the time in my house. Some people say that they are the giant house spiders but they look the same as the hobo spiders do. The past couple of years they have been fewer of these things in my house but 3 or 4 years ago it was a daily occurrance to kill these frickin things. I hate the hell out of them. I used to spray that home defence stuff outside and inside the house and still I would get them. I have no idea how to get rid of these little buggers. They are aggressive too, especially in low light. If the lights are low and you see one on the floor and aproach it, the bastage will run towards you like they are going to attack. I have thought about haveing the house professionally sprayed and see if that helps but the last year or two they have died down significantly. Still think about it though but dont know if it will work. I ask the neighbors if they have em and how they deal with it and they all reply yeah, we just kill the heck out of em when we see them. There has got to be something else a person can do to get rid of them.

I used to work for one of the big pest control companies in Cali. I got a call from a guy who said we left a flyer on his door and he was ready to sign up. He later told me the story that his wife was taking a nap on the couch when a Black Widow bit her on the upper chest. She was in the hospital for 3 days. He was glad to see us come spray. before she would come home. The Hobo spiders venom will cause necrosis of your flesh until it is stopped. You can watch for a bulls eye around the bite which can be an identifying sign.
If anybody in Cache Valley needs their house sprayed, PM me. I know a guy who has been in the business since I was a crumb snatcher, and won't try and sell you a service you don't need.

This is ironic. One of my employees just got bit by a Hobo spider last week. He thought everything was fine until about 2 days later when he ended up in the ER because he couldnt feel his lower half and he hadnt urinated in a few days. Apparently their venom can shut down regular bodily functions. He was bit on the ankle. Nasty SOB

Yours truly,
HumbledHunter (stinkystomper's alter ego)
Mormons are Christians too

You can often find them sleeping on park benches or under bridges so stay away from them places and you should be fine.

Spider.jpg

You have caught only one? Dude I used to catch HUNDREDS on sticky traps. I have been spraying my foundation with a spray called Tempo. It works like a charm. I haven't seen one in about a year. I spray once a month and they are gone. Ron

are guys reffering a hobo spider to a brown recluse? i thought they were 2 differnet spiders with the brown recluse being having posion that eats your flesh.

The research I've done says Brown Recluse are found further south-east, if I remember right. These in Wyoming are surrounding areas are Hobos. The results of the bite are apparently fairly similar. I just know I don't want to test it and find out!

>2 distinct genus. The only thing
>they have in common is
>their venomous bite.
>
>Eldorado

I'll bet they look the same after you step on them..

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

When I was in high school I had three different bites on my left knee and hamstring. It was some painful sh!t! I still have scars from the craters it left on my skin!

Traditional >>>------->

HorseCreek how'd you get bit by 3 different hobos? I bet that did hurt like hell.

I don't think it was three diff spiders...same spider three diff bites! Little bastard!

Traditional >>>------->

In my area in Ca we have Black Widow, Brown Recluse and Scorpions. I don't think we have Hobo spiders......but I ain't sure.

We have cats in the house, so there are very few ANYTHING crawling around in here for long. I hate all kinds of bugs and after suffering 3 Black Widow bites in my lifetime, I have zero tolerance for ANY spider at all.

I have chickens loose in my yard, so I have very few things crawling around outside the house either. Chickens will catch and eat ANYTHING that moves on the ground or in low bushes.

These "pets" have eliminated the tomato worms, potato bugs, and the vast collection of spiders, and other things I don't need inside or outside my home. The mice, gophers, snakes and slow lizards, don't stand a chance.

I still find an occasional Black Widow, but I guarantee they are at least 4' off the ground.

Plus, I get the chicken eggs, and you hardly notice the mousy taste at all!

"I could eat a bowl of Alphabet Soup and
sh!t a better argument than that!"

Nickman, your chickens are killin Gophers? What kind are they?? I must have some sissy wimpy chickens cuz mine don't do anything but watch as the bastages heads poke outta their holes! I trap the heck out of them. I will say my scorpion problem has become a lot less now though. I think the chickens are eating up the crickets and field roaches and starving the scorpion out. I only find about one or 2 a week on my perimeter search now.

GBA

+1 on the chickens. They are awesome pest control. However, my Vizsla is awesome chicken control. They don't play well together....

Glad somebody mentioned chickens. We live in an area that has a ton of Hobos. We used to see a bunch in the house. We won't spray with chemicals because they are not good for you or your kids. Now days I rarely see a Hobo in the house. If you are seeing them in the house, they came in from outside. Two big things that have helped is keeping the grass well trimmed along the foundation of the house. The other is we have 16 chickens running about. Also if you see jumping spiders in your house....LEAVE THEM BE. They will kill both black widows and hobos and they won't bother you. Lastly read up on them a bit. There is a lot of wrong info out there. You can usually know if you have a problem by seeing a bunch of funnel webs in your lawn. Anyways in short, trim, buy chickens and don't kill jumping spiders. Got it??

1+++++ on the chickens there use to be hundreds of black widows in my back yard, not to mention a boat load of gophers and thousands of chinch bugs. Got 6 chickens no bugs no gophers. Whats even funnier is I have even seen the chickens kill a small rabbit that was eating their scratch, mean little bastards. Chickens are great pest controllers and you get some great tasting eggs in return.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom