Hiker Killed Accidently

Having spent much time in the field I just don't understand how this happens. I am definitely not throwing lead at something until I know in depth what it is and if I want to pack it off the mountain. It is sad that people aren't more careful with what they are doing.

Call it what you like......this incident is NOT a qualified "accident".

I hope, in this case, there is an over zealous DA, a suit hungry civil attorney and someone to kick this shooter in the nutsack everyday for the rest of his life!

This is NOT how anyone is supposed to die.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

It should be called, Hiker Killed NEGLIGENTLY. This was no accident.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I believe because most of you are on here, you have some knowledge of hunting and guns at different levels. I'm guiding a guy this year that at my age just decided he wanted to hunt. Limited knowledge I'm told. Because of his age no gun safety requirements. Bought all new gadgets and has no concept of hunting from my phone conversations with him. Has some money and approached one of the ranches I hunt and offered a large sum of money, they agreed with the idea I guide him.

We are making sure a round isn't in the chamber and he will put one in and shoot when I say to. He will also stay behind me not behind. A lot of people have no concept of what they are doing in the field, as far as safety.

One time years ago, I remember seeing the lower legs some elk walking through some thick pines. They were about 150 yards off It was an either sex hunt and a quick shot through a small opening would have meant an elk down. I held up, wanting to make sure everything was okay. Those elk turned out to be a string of horses being led by one rider. They sure looked like elk legs. I am forever grateful I didn't get caught up in the moment. It haunts me every time I think about it. You are never sure until you are absolutely sure. That means you have a full view and then some. I can't imagine having to live with that kind of "mistake" for the rest of my life.

This is the THIRD incident I've heard about over the years of "mistaken for bear"...also several tragic stories involving "mistaken for deer"...one of these being a hunter riding his horse, with his 14 yr. old son on the horse with him who was shot in the head! I just can't figure out how these happen? I wonder if somehow at the moment of the shot, somehow the person, in their "mind's eye" sees the image of the particular game they are shooting. I even once as a Ranger/EMT treated a hunter who had been "mistaken for sage grouse"...luckily he only had bb's in his fingers,ear lobe, cheek, and lip! Very sad and tragic!

You guys wanting to throw the book at this guy are pretty harsh. Tossing a 60 year guy that takes his grandkid hunting wouldn't do anything to give restitution to the family. One could argue that it would protect other hunters, but taking away his hunting license and restricting him from having or using firearms would accomplish the same thing. The guy made a crazy, stupid mistake but I dont think he should see jail time.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-25-11 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Back in the 70s my friend Loren was hunting for elk with his oldest son, then about 9. Dressed in the required orange, including an orange sock over his hat, Loren was shot once in the neck from a distance of about 70 yards. The shooter was using a .270 equipped with a 4X scope.

The hunter who shot him told the GWs that he thought Loren was an elk. And, that 'hunter' had already filled his tag.

That ##### is still alive, and was still driving eguipment for the city as of 2002. I never understood why he didn't do hard time.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

T.A.B.

T reat every gun as if it were loaded.
A lways point the muzzle in a safe direction.
Be sure of your target and beyond!

Sad that a man died because the basics of hunter/fire-arm safety were not followed..... :-(

S.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom