High Uintas West Mt Goats

R

RNR

Drew a goat tag for Uintas West Unit, any help on where to look for goats, access, hunt history would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on a great tag. I have a buddy and a cousin who drew it this year and my wife will have it next.
The first thing to to is track down Randall Thacker from the UDWR. The guy knows the area well and he knows goats.
The access is as good or as tough as you want it to be. Some of the more remote areas are better for the bigger billies.
I spent a dozen days in the unit a couple years ago and love the area. I would share all except for the fact that my buddy and cousin will be there this year and it makes no sense to have you guys on top of each others.... unless by accident.
You'll do well even without my tidbits.

Good luck, Zeke

Zeke,
thanks for the info, I will look Randall up. Do you see a lot of goats in this unit?

Yes. You will see lots of goats but you'll soon find they are not everywhere. There's a whole lot of mountain which contains no goats. Goats are in certain "pockets". Once located, there will usually be goats in the area every time you hunt. I have noticed that just when you think you know what goats are available, others will appear. It's a function of the terrain and the fact that they move around a bunch more than most folks think.
As a rule-of-thumb the billies will be alone or in small bunches of billies (2-3). If you're seeing a bunch of goats then they're nannies and kids. I think the rut is in Nov so it has little bearing on the hunt.

Do you have horses? Are you a HARDCORE backpacker? If so, you'll be able to access the best the unit has to offer.

Zeke

Don't own a horse right now, have in the past, I can get access to some. I can back pack, although I am not "hardcore". If they are in deep that's were I will go. Thanks maybe I will see you on the mountain.

RNR,

If you want to talk to someone who has spent a TON of time up there chasing goats PM hunterturbo. You'll get what you are looking for.

VM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom