high country mule deer in units 37,37a,50,51.

C

casey12

would like to know about the muleys in this country looks like you can get away and be alone.also would like to know if there are 180+ mule deer here I never have seen any evidence of bucks like that up there.

>would like to know about the
>muleys in this country looks
>like you can get away
>and be alone.also would like
>to know if there are
>180+ mule deer here I
>never have seen any evidence
>of bucks like that up
>there.

looks like you should start scouting/researching.

I believe this would be a form of reserch from inside my own home.Dosen't mean I don't do every bit of research/and scouting that I can.Just would like to know if fellow hunters would have any info on the area.

Well, i stopped hunting those units due to the lack of game. Wither people want to admit it or not, predators of the canine variety, ie: wolves have ruined those units. I spent close to 17 yrs in those units, on foot, high, low and in between and the last good buck i saw was in 2003 on a november cow hunt. Do a few survive, maybe. But i have talked to many folks that i have run into in those units that say if you are looking for a big mule deer, go elsewhere. Want a nice whitetail, those low lands and river bottoms are an ok place to find whiteys.
The season is short in those areas as well. The days of getting into the back country to find big bucks are limited. Dont shoot the messenger.

>looks like you should start scouting/researching.
>

What do you think a post asking for info is supposed to be??? Don't be a smartass, if ya don't have something nice to say....

I personally don't know those units but don't feel bad for asking. Not a lot of people here on the ID forum like to give out info even if it is for an entire unit. Best bet is to hit up the IDFG website and check harvest stats on those units. Also would compare the last 3 years to the oldest harvest data you can find. That'll give you an idea of how much those units have declined. Pay attention to the overall hunter numbers as well... Good luck

Mike

>
>>looks like you should start scouting/researching.
>>
>
>What do you think a post
>asking for info is supposed
>to be??? Don't be
>a smartass, if ya don't
>have something nice to say....
>
>
>I personally don't know those units
>but don't feel bad for
>asking. Not a lot
>of people here on the
>ID forum like to give
>out info even if it
>is for an entire unit.
> Best bet is to
>hit up the IDFG website
>and check harvest stats on
>those units. Also would
>compare the last 3 years
>to the oldest harvest data
>you can find. That'll
>give you an idea of
>how much those units have
>declined. Pay attention to
>the overall hunter numbers as
>well... Good luck
>
>Mike

a little late seeing this response. you think i was being a smartass? no smartass intentions at all. i meant what i said. gets a little old seeing all the people with a handful of posts, at best, asking for information. happens every year. most times, once they get what they want for the season, they'll be gone. until they draw a hunt in another unit they know absolutely nothing about. how about starting off with an introduction, maybe post awhile. then, maybe offer info in an area that you know, in return for some information. regardless if people take you up on it, it shows you're willing to help/contribute. end of rant.

After 8 years of trying to figure out secret to OTC bucks like you are asking about, I have concluded there are NO secret spots. Areas that are known for routinely producing 180 bucks are ALL draw areas. But....all areas that have deer have 180 bucks, but it will take a ton of work, patience, and frankly luck.

The areas you ask about seem to have had their deer numbers go down over the last 30 years, even more so than some other areas. I spoke with a rancher while on a Nov elk hunt in 51 in 07 who said the deer numbers went down over the past 25 years while elk numbers increased. Not sure he is right, but his family ranched that country for over 100 years. I sure didn't see many deer and certainly not many big bucks while on our elk hunt, and that was during the rut and they were in the hay fields.

There are a lot more deer in units like 32a, but there will be a TON of people. so pick your poison, they will both be SUPER hard to fill with a 180 tag, especially your first year. The units you ask about will likely have a lot less pressure(not none), but you may only see a deer a day. So pick your poison, deer vs pressure.

50, 51, etc.,
I've seen some toads in those units as well, but not recently. I've not seen the elk either. The decimation of the game in the Pioneer is a dam* shame.

If you live in Idaho a 180+ buck on a general tag takes either tremendous luck or you start scouting...now. If you live out of state, that's a tall order.

DeepForks,

I do agree with what you say and have had it happen to me a few times where someone hits me up for info on a particular unit that I happen to know, only for me to respond with solid info and never hear back from them. Not a great way to instill confidence for sure in giving out info.

Guess just the comment of that he needs to start scouting/researching now kind of rubbed me the wrong way. What do you think a post asking for info is about... Granted, he may be looking for honey holes, or he may not! I think a lot of guys would be happy with saying "No don't go there, you'll have a better chance in some of the more southern units. Good luck" or something similar. Who knows? Never hurts to ask for info... At least hes asking for info in May instead of August, got to give him a little credit for that, then again, maybe not! :)

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom