high country archery deer hunts?

hubba_3

Hey guys,
For the last 2 years, I've been putting in for preference points for deer and elk... But I'm looking to get a deer tag next year and possibly an elk tag... I love to backpack in and get away from people so what are some decent units that have a few good bucks and maybe some wilderness areas where i can get away from the crowds? I'd be willing to help anyone out with NV if you would like... Thanks for any help...

If yer a nonresident, you probably won't be hunting a wilderness area without a guide or a resident to take you. That pretty much only leaves areas with crowds or areas you can access with atv's...

That is untrue. There are plenty of areas a guy can get back into during archery season without seeing another person that are not in the wilderness. Lke all of region g.

There are plenty of areas you can pack into. What kind of deer are you looking to take? Are you wanting to combine a deer/elk hunt?

well i guess thats good news then... and of course i wanna shot a 200" typical ha, but i like to take anything that is over about 150" or so with my bow, so im not too picky... just something nice... and i guess i could combine the deer and elk hunt, but i would rather focus on just one species so im not going back and forth between deer and elk ya know...?

Sounds like you want Region G or Region H, you can pack back into both pretty far and it should be a good hunt for what you are looking for. Archery opens on Sept. 1st and most of the high country opens for rifle on Sept. 15th. You have to draw the general tag (no archery specific tag) and then buy an archery license. Watch Founder's videos from last year!

ok. thank you for the info.
i have another question... what is the difference between the special draw and the normal draw? Ive been trying to find some info on that, but havent found it. Can you guys explain that to me ha? Sorry if its a stupid question lol. thanks...

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-12 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]jk i think i found it. the only difference is for the special draw, you just pay more money to have better drawing odds, right? and with the regular draw, you dont pay extra and just have normal draw odds right?
IF i am right, how much of a difference are the drawing odds? and how much more does it cost you? and do you think its worth it to pay the extra to get better odds? I currently have 1 point for deer so would i have a good chance of drawing like region g or h in the regular draw? or would it be better to do the special draw?
Thanks and sorry for all the questions ha

jk found the price too...
DEER Nonresident $312.00

DEER Nonresident Special $552.00

but how much of a difference would it make for me with the 1 point that i have if i paid for the special? lol... ok im done now ha

Click on the link below to go to the draw odds section. Then click on any year and you can go into every draw for every animal and see what each draw took to get a tag. Sometime the Special will screw you up compared to the Regular draw, but normally it will give you a better chance and sometimes basically guarantee that you'll draw.

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/Web2011/HUNTING-1000157.aspx

>Sounds like you want Region G
>or Region H, you can
>pack back into both pretty
>far and it should be
>a good hunt for what
>you are looking for.
>Archery opens on Sept. 1st
>and most of the high
>country opens for rifle on
>Sept. 15th. You have
>to draw the general tag
>(no archery specific tag) and
>then buy an archery license.
> Watch Founder's videos from
>last year!

hey do you know which area Founder was in when he killed that buck last year? Region G or H? or something else? And do you happen to know what general location he is in in that unit, like the trailhead or something like that? I didnt see any other hunters where he was at, so thats what i like the most ha... Not looking for an exact location but that is the type of terrain that i like to hunt in archery season so any info would be great! thanks

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom