Hey Kilo - they found your rifle!!

Roy

You know - the one you lost in Nevada, back in '82... 1882 that is...

Cool story. Somebody out there has a story about this handed down to them by their great grandpa. I would love to hear it.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=33093460&nid=148&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-1

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Park Service should have left it there. It's an artifact.

I actually heard a similar story 30+ years ago in the same area only north of highway 50. A guy found a rifle in a thick mahogany stand.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Someone shot a deer, propped his rifle against the tree to dress and drag the deer. He planned to return to retrieve it later but couldn't find it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Story time:
I was returning to camp from a sheep hunt in Colorado and had to inflate my boat and float across the Arkansas River. I got to camp and was caping my ram and realized I didn't have my rifle.
The next morning I had to inflate the boat, paddle across the river again where I found my rifle lying on the bank. I can see how a guy could lose one without too much trouble.
I've since given that rifle to my second to the youngest daughter and she and her husband have killed a slew of critters with it in the last decade.

Zeke

Roy...back in 1987 when I was hunting on a ranch lose to Shell,Wy I left the camp/trailer and walked down off the hillside into the White Creek area. About an hour later I stopped to take a WIZZ and happened to see an old wooded shed that was falling in. Walked over to look at it and right behind it aainst the back side was an old Springfield Ao3 pretty rusty.

Packedt back up to the camp/trailer on this place andlater showed the owners son what I found. I asked for some WD-40 and spread it good around th action. Later I tried to open the bolt and it barely moved, so spread some more on it and let it sit til after dinner.

To make the stry short, After many tries, got the bolt open and worked it back and forth, till it was free sliding. Since I did not want it and told the owners son it is yours. When the old man came in and I told him I found the rifle, he asked where at.
I told him about where I found it and then he said he had a hunter on the place about 10 years before this time and lost it own there some where. I told him it behind that old faling down woodshed in the bottom of creek. What the son did with it, I do not know. That is probably the only thing I have ever found while hunting that could have been useful.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>They should be looking for bones,
>nobody just leaves their rifle
>leaning against a tree!
>
>Rut

ummm??I did, if anyone finds a muzzleloader leaning against a tree in Colorado it's mine. Be careful it's loaded.

No estas en mexico ahora, entonces escoja tu basura
chancho sucio.

I might know where there is a POS rifle about half way down a canyon in Calif. When i was 9 or 10, i watched as Dad missed what had to be one of the dumbest forkey bucks that ever lived. He stood there broadside at what couldn't have been over 100 yards and Dad missed him time and again. When all his shells were finally gone and the buck still standing, Dad grabbed that rifle by the barrel, spun around, and heaved it discus like down the canyon never to be seen again.

I knew better than to question Dad. He had a brand new, good shooting rifle within days.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

In 1974 I was 16. We lived in Lewiston and Dad took me on my first elk hunt. I shot a 6 point bull high above the Lochsa River. We headed out the next day after quartering the elk and getting it out. A mile down the mountain my Dad pulled over to take a whiz. He took the rifle as he hadn't filled his tag and you never know when you will see game. He left his rifle against a tree. We had gone 6 miles before he realized it. Glad no other hunters around.

Great stories!! Keep them coming!

Kilowat - do you think you could use a little WD-40 and get this old Model 1873 to work?

DeerMadness - did you ever go back for it?

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Joey, I did the same thing your Dad did, but I did it with my 3 Iron. It's in the pond in front of the par 3, 5th hole at the Muni.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Roy,
Sure could try as I have some liquid.spray in a can that is 10 times better than WD-40 is or was. When I use to work in the Geothermo Power Plants here in NorCal back in the 70-80's the company would buy Kroil Oil in 55 Gallon drums. That was the only thing that would loosen the 1-1/2" case bolts on the turbines and generator housing for overhaul.

I have collected about 5-6 cans in the areosol cans and 2 pints of liquid. It is called KROIL pentatrant(damn spelling)

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Yes Roy, Dad drove right back and found it. I did leave out an interesting part of the story. While we were driving down the mountain I saw a box on the side of the road. I asked Dad to stop. I went and opened the box ....A neatly skinned Black Bear hide in the box. Dad said it's not our we must leave it. I don't remember when we got to the Hunters Check station if we told the F & G about the bear hide.

>Joey, I did the same thing
>your Dad did, but I
>did it with my 3
>Iron. It's in the pond
>in front of the par
>3, 5th hole at the
>Muni.
>
>Eel
>
>It's written in the good Book
>that we'll never be asked
>to take more than we
>can. Sounds like a good
>plan, so bring it on!
>
>
>

I'd bet it has plenty of company eel!:D +1 on the Kroil kilo!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-17-15 AT 10:05AM (MST)[p]This is probably just a coincidence but I was reading my great grandpa's diary the other day. I'll just copy what he wrote.

"Me and my brother Grizz were hunting in Nevada and a guy on a horse rode by. He was going through some thick sage brush and his horse reared back and the gun in his scabbard fell right out. The guy didn't even notice so my brother and I kept our council. After he passed we ran over there and found it. It was a Winchester Model 1873. Heck of a nice rifle.

We didn't want to get caught with it so we leaned it up against a Juniper tree and went about our hunt, fully intending to come back later. We got to chasing bucks and never made it back. Oh well, I imagine someone will find it some day."

Eel

Edit: I've heard rumors that someone on MM is actually a descendant of my great grandpa, maybe from Utah.

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom