Hey highway patrol??? anyone

nfh

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-14 AT 09:38PM (MST)[p]Got a question to you highway patrol guys or anyone that might have an answer

ok I will set the scene. We got a bucket truck at work that weighs oh little over 32,000 GVWR
- so a class b CDL is required cause it has electric brakes.. ok that makes sense.

Well since a cdl is required for that bucket truck one of my co-workers decided to take the duramax {9000GVWR} and a trailer at 12000 GVWR with a lift on it to avoid the bucket truck.... that totals under 26,001 GVWR so it sounds legal to me reading this cdl book.

Well Crossing the state line the highway patrol said a CDL was required. Well this happened a few months ago. MY co-worker got no tickets but just a check of air pressure/lights and some other stuff. He got pulled over mainly cause he crossed the state line into Montana and went by the Port. From our Shop to the job site in Montana is only 40 miles away. so the patrol sent him back to our shop. And that was the end of it...

Well I have decided to get my class B cdl for work so I can use the bucket truck when needed and my work truck has a GVWR of 10,001 but it just might weigh a little more so I want a CDL in case if I was to ever get weighed.

OK here is my questions. I am looking over the CDL book and reading the section on who must have a CDL and the book is kinda Gray in areas.

So why does my co-worker need one if his truck and trailer is under the 26,000 GVWR???? The patrol said it was due to crossing the state line and he was for certain the truck and trailer was over 26,000. But we later weighed and it was very well under.

Another option was a medical card but a medical card is kinda worthless cause you can only drive only a 150 miles then its a log book and staying the night. well in the oil field the truck averages a 300 miles a day so that doesn't help. And the medical card wasn't good enough for a reason I don't know.

QUESTION 2. if my truck has a GVRW of 10,001 and with tools and parts lets say it weighs 12,000 is this a violation.

And from what I understand some people that have work trucks and trailers over weight they just buy a personal truck in their name and insurance then lease it to the company and haul the heavy trailer and can skip all the violations just cause the company name is not on that little insurance card.. Then that person gets by and makes money off the lease.

A commercial motor vehicle is defined as hauling goods/passengers/or getting paid while driving{as stated in this book}. so that means all workers are in violation??????? am I understanding this?? that would mean electricians/plumbers or anyone just driving a company car needs a cdl. That seems fishy..

so can anyone clear this up? its such a gray area. the book states a lot but doesn't go into details explaining a yes and no answer.
I guess my confusion starts when the books says hey if the GVRW is under 26,000 your legal but then turns around and says your truck is a commercial motor vehicle so you need a CDL then someone says as long as you weigh under 26,000 and don't drive over 150 miles a day your SAFE....

Then im sitting here thinking you can personally buy a huge RV and pull a boat with a attached 4-wheeler trailer and no CDL required.

Everyone I ask no one has a clear answer. My boss has called the state and they pretty much talk around a answer and leaves back at square one. And I have been pulled over in my work truck and he never brought up anything about how I am more than 150 miles from home or that the truck could be over weight.

If it's Personal/Play I can Pull my Train of 77' Long with nothing more than an over length permit!

Different Story on Work Vehicles!

And I don't know all the different Western States DOT Regs!

Like you said!

It's Confusing at times!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

Ask me in the morning. It is entirely too confusing at the moment cheers.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Ask me in the morning.
>It is entirely too confusing
>at the moment cheers.
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

If I read air brakes in there that will kick you into cdl land. So will a certain air. Mile radius.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

A Few Facts I can verify:

Hi-Po & DOT No-No's:

High Speed Road Rage!

More than Doubling the Speed Limit!

3rd Gear through Stop Lights/Signs!

Racing & Out Running the DOT Pick-Up over Parleys!

They don't really like to Inhale neither!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

I have drove a service truck for years, all over 26,000 gvw. It is not a matter of your "scale weight" it's the GVW rated weight. Class B CDL is required to operate a truck over 26000 GVW. A class A CDL is required for over 26000 AND pulling a trailer. To get my class A, my company had everyone take the test in a 2500 pickup truck pulling a 24 foot tandem axle trailer. As soon as you put a trailer on a truck that brings the combined GVW up to the 26000 lb mark a class A CDL is required. We used to get away with it with no worries in years past. DOT has been cracking down the last few years.

Also that 150 miles is a radius from your home base. You can drive 300 miles a day as long as you stay within that radius. I got my cdl back in 1993. Worst decision I ever made;) I still have my cdl but luckily haven't been in a truck the last 3 years.

And I understand you must go by weight on gvw.

I am confused why co-worker was told he needs when crossing state line with the trailer. I have been asking a lot of people and the common answer just goes around the answer need..

but I guess I will get the darn thing and be safe, I need for the bucket truck any way.. I just like the fact of having a cdl and its harder on driving record. on call-outs I cruise 90 in a 65 mph. but 99% of the time i get off the hook since 7200 volts laying on the ground is a life/death situation but i know someday it wont slide

Thanks deadibob for clearing the 150 miles. that helps a lot.

When it comes to crossing state lines different rules apply to cdls. There is INTERSTATE and there is INTRASTATE. Interstate is multistate, intra is staying within your home state. Avoid it if you can. Once you become a carrier it becomes a nightmare.

I talked to my co-worker about when he got nailed crossing the state line with that trailer. The truck sticker was 9000 gvwr and the trailer was 12000 so if any one of the 2 had a registered sticker over that 10,001 a but a total weight doesn't exceed over that 26,001 number and if its a commercial truck a medical card is needed..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom