Here's a sticky one for ya

predator

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-07 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-07 AT 08:58?PM (MST)

So I have this stupid cow tag, and I got it cuz a friend o' mine said elk were usually on his property this time of the year. This unit is mostly private, and the public land is landlocked by the private. There is even a WMA on it, but you can't get to it (I still can't figure that one out).

Anyway, two things happened the past few days. First, my buddy only has about 5 acres. The county law in this area says you must be 600 feet from a building. The town law says you cannot discharge a firearm, yet the city fathers could not produce for me an actual ordinance to show me how it reads, and I hear that they never have been able to produce one. Given some of my dealings with another rural town in the area, I know that some of them just make stuff up. My buddy's property is half in the town, and half in the county. I go up there, and find myself exactly 267 yards from buildings (houses, actually). Now I could have gone farther, but it would have been off his property and onto a development not yet begun. It was not posted. In fact, not much of anybody's land is posted in this unit, yet I know it's private.

Should I go ahead and hunt it? My answer will be given later on.

The second property is similar, only it's bounded by a private ranch. The gate into the ranch is snowed in, and I know that no one is there this time of the year, and there are no signs of human activity. It is also not posted, but I have been told that the owners are jerks and don't allow trespass for any reason.

Should I hunt it?

The background for this puzzle is thus: Utah law requires that permission be obtained, in writing, to hunt PROPERLY POSTED private land. It is assumed posted if it is agricultural in nature. Otherwise, to be properly posted as private, all gates, corners and stream crossings must be marked with a minimum amount of paint or sign.

I'm interested to hear all your opinions on this one.....

Pred

Uhh ... I don't get it! Are the elk on your buddies 5 acres? If you was 267 yards from the cow, that's 801' ... well with in the law. If the elk are on somebody else's property you got a problem. As far as the proper posting stuff goes ... if you know it's private and don't ask permission then you got to deal with the land owner if you get caught. Ain't worth it in my book. (Am I missing something?)

RUS

"The county law in this area says you must be 600 feet from a building."

That is only 200 yards. If you were 267 yards from the buildings (house), you should be OK.

Second property:

"The background for this puzzle is thus: Utah law requires that permission be obtained, in writing, to hunt PROPERLY POSTED private land. It is assumed posted if it is agricultural in nature. Otherwise, to be properly posted as private, all gates, corners and stream crossings must be marked with a minimum amount of paint or sign."

Getting written permission is required to hunt PROPERLY POSTED private land. You need to find out what is required to hunt UNPOSTED private land, in my opinion. I would not hunt ANY private property without some sort of permission. (written or verbal)

Good luck Pred! A cow elk sounds mighty tasty!

Eel

Eel, unposted private is not addressed in the rulebooks.....

Sticky elk, that's what it is!! LOL

Actually, if my math is correct, it would be pretty hard to be more than 600 feet from a house sitting anywhere on a 5 acre parcel. Unless the parcel is long and narrow. An acre of land is 209'X209'. So if it was 209'X 1045' then you could do it if the house was near one end.

BUT:)......does that 600' law apply if it's your own house or building? I know a guy who has some acreage in the county and we use his back porch to to set up our shooting bench. This is CA though and not Utah.

Eel

Eel, you are right on both counts. This property has the house at one end of a rectangular parcel, and the adjacent parcels are the same. In Utah, you can shoot closer to the houses if you have the owner's verbal permission, and I had the permission of two, the third was not home and is the reputed problem child of the bunch.

I ranged all the houses within sight, BTW.

This is also a rural area, where everyone I've talked to says that they often shoot deer from their back porch.......

Here's another piece of the puzzle-the elk raided the hay bales last week.

Enough thinking already! If you get the chance just shoot one Lisa LOL!. Who could give such a nice lady a citation anyway?????

Eel

HEY Preddy!!!

NEXT TIME YOU GET IN THIS SITUATION GIVE RUS A LITTLE HEADS UP!!!

HE CAN RUN A WARDEN OFF LIKE NO OTHER!!!

DON'T TRESSPASS,WE KNOW YOU WELL ENOUGH YOU WOULDN'T DO IT ANYWAY!!!

SOME OF THESE LANDOWNERS ARE SOME REAL JACK-ASSES!!!

NOTICE I SAID "SOME"!!!

MOST OF THEM ARE DECENT EVEN IF THEY TELL US "NO"!!!

ANY CHANCE YOU COULD SHOOT OUT OF THAT HOUSE & STAY WARM AT THE SAME TIME???

JUST KIDDIN!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

The other landowner will probalby never know. I'd go ahead w/it.

Jenn
"Some people are like slinkys; not really good for anything
but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs!"

You all nailed it. I didn't hunt either, and was real uncomfortable with firing off a rifle by anyone's house, legal it may be. I don't care if the locals do it, but it's not my town and I know how I would feel if someone did it that close to me. Not to mention that I would not want to cause trouble for my friends who live there.

I will be giving the DWR hell about this unit though, I'd sure like to know who is buying the tags and where they are hunting, because I swear to the Lord Almighty that I've talked to everyone in the several towns around it, and NO ONE would give me permission and NO ONE could point me to anyone who would. I ate more pie at local cafes, drank more coffee at local gas stations, and bought more groceries at the local stores than anyone alive. Seems that nearly half of the unit is CWMU's, and they have locked up the rest of the private behind them. Oh, and then there is the WMA that is landlocked. That makes a whole hell of a lot of sense to me-let's buy some land and make it inaccessible-WTF is that???

Not to mention that not many people, including myself, have seen elk running around. Several mentioned that it is quite strange. I would hope that the DWR was issuing tags because elk need to be killed, well I'm doubting many are. Local owners should be getting landowner tags for the amount of locked up land there is, so who is buying these tags?? (except stupid people like myself!)

I'm calling an outfitter this morning that has some of the leases, with only one day left on the tag, perhaps he would allow me a chance.

Otherwise, I guess I'm buying half a beef, which I haven't done for years!!

Thanks for supporting my decisions!

Hi Pred, Hope you healed up good. Hey, don't you bow hunt? Good to see some of the old timers back some of these new guys are amazing...

Good call Lisa - ethics rule out over technical legalities in the end.

I had a similar situation to this one deer hunting a few years back. We were hunting some river bottoms (public land) that was surrounded by private property on the south and bluffs on the north. There really was only a few hundred yards between the bluffs and the private property, marked by fences and not posted but definitely "agricultural" in nature - they were mainly hay fields. There were some houses nearby but far enough away and a highway too. Well, we saw a few head of deer in one of the hay fields, right in the corner next to the river bottoms. It was close to dusk and they were grazing easily in the hay field. I made a very stealthy stalk to a nearby haystack and found myself just 75 yards from the deer with a perfect standing dead rest over a bale of hay. I could not have had a more perfect broadside shot. There was a nice fat two point and I felt no nervousness at all. I could have easily taken a head shot and a definite heart shot, dropping the deer immediately. My buddy even knew the land owner and said they "probably" wouldn't mind. I had a clear shooting lane back towards the bluffs, it would have been safe. I could have easily popped the buck and then thrown him over the fence back in to the river bottoms. The problem was that the field ran right by the highway and while it is not a major thoroughfare, there was some local traffic who undoubtedly knew the landowner as well. I wasn't comfortable with "probably" so in the end, I eased my gun back on to the safety and walked back to the truck just as it got too dark to shoot.

Call me a wuss, but it just didn't feel right, EVEN IF THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE FOUND OUT.

That was the first year I went deer hunting and didn't fill my tag.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Roy, that is exactly the thing. I was not comfortable with the situation on the first property at all; there just wasn't a real good background. Even though the other stuff is not posted, it just didn't feel right to me.

The second guy has not been home for me to obtain the required written permission, so I drove around and gawked today at other things. Saw some elk, just on the wrong side of the roads.

Luckily the game warden called me tonight and I have a place to go to in the morning. It is again right smack dab in the town, but this guy has a depredation complaint, I guess. Sounds like the elk are a lot lower sooner this year. He was right nice on the phone, I'm gonna take him up some scone batter in exchange.....

Hopefully by noon tomorrow I'll be feasting on elk heart and backstrap fried in bacon and onion! YUM!

Hey Keith, long time no see ya post. I do bow hunt, and thought about that in this situation, but the areas I have permission to hunt upon are so small that having the cow go onto another person's place that I don't have permission for is a concern.

Healed up pretty good, this cold bothers me.

I think I'm getting old or something. ;)

Howdy,

Lisa, did you get a cow??? Howdy Kingfish... long time no see. For that matter, long time for predator also.

Happy New Year!!!

Coach

Coach!! Where have you been!

I did get my cow, and I have 10 stitches in my finger to prove it! I fell into a depredation hunt and the guy was more than helpful.

Bessie, I'm now a true redneck, for I have hunted via tractor. First time EVER that I've seen a whole elk in the back of the truck versus one in pieces parts attached to sleds or packs. That was pretty cool.

She sure does taste nummy, tho.

HEY Preddy!!!

YOU'RE GETTING A LITTLE AGE TOO,LOL!!!

DID YOU SHOOT OUT THE CAB,LOL!!!

THAT OLE BOY IS STILL SINGING:"SHE THINKS MY TRACTORS SEXY"!!!

"OH IT REALLY TURNS HER ON"!!!

STITCHES IN THE FINGER???

DAMN Pred YOU'RE GETTING ALMOST AS HAZARDOUS AS ME!!!

JUST THINK THOUGH???

WE CAN MATCH THE BATTLE WOUNDS WITH THE HUNTS/ANIMALS!!!

THE "WHOLE ELK" IN THE BACK OF YOUR TRUCK???

WOW!!!

I THINK YOU DESERVE THAT AT LEAST ONCE IN YOUR LIFE!!!

GREAT JOB!!!

THIS IS MY NEW GUN,YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT,YOU'LL LIKE IT A HELL OF A LOT LESS WHEN IT HITS ITS DESTINATION!!!
47654abd5a8fd79a.jpg

469ff2b8110d7f4e.jpg

THE ONLY bobcat THAT KNOWS ALOT OF YOU HAVE HAD THIS IMAGE IN YOUR PEA BRAIN BUT DUE TO POOR SHOOTING TACTICS I'M STILL KICKIN!!!

Bess, no cab shootin'....but I did bump some sort of knob that dropped the bucket onto the ground as I jumped off! ROFLMAO

I've decided I need to get me one of those forklift attachments for the truck. Pics up a cow right nicely.

I may change my name to SCAR.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom