Here we go!

Got my camper all setup, taking dad out for 1st season this year.

I predict the rut will still be rockin in most units, gonna be a massacre

I think this is probably true of the trophy areas in the NW corner, 76 & 61, those units always seem to extend into october. But the majority of OTC units I would take the exact opposite opinion.

Elk rut is over around here (Flat tops/steamboat area). Bugling started very early this year thanks to a lot of unsettled weather first 2 weeks of september, and peaked during muzzleloader week, which is typical. Even the private elk sanctuary next to my house has gone quiet. But damn was it good early and often this year.

Saw a picture yesterday of a large herd of elk crossing HWY 40 outside steamboat, thats a post rut pattern for those elk, they dont come down off the mountain into the valley til its over. Its over.

Usually we get a 2nd rut (yes it does exist) about 1st season. October Full moon is the day after 1st closes, that often triggers another round of muted rutting activity for a week or so as any remaining unbred cows will need taken care of.

I'm ready! For 2nd rifle, though. Three deer tags and an elk. Probably concentrate on deer. Watching that weather.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Back
Top Bottom