Henry Mountain Bison

400bullelk

I drew that sportsmans bison tag, and opening day is a week away. I have gathered some information, checked out the mountain, and have a game plan in place. I am going to try and fill the tag with my bow, but will have a rifle. I am just looking for any additional information. If you have hunted them before and have any tips, please share.

Get up on the highest peak you can where you can see the flats down in the low country (east and west sides). Have a map in your hand, a spotting scope and a pencil. Find the herds, mark on map in conjunction to the roads you see near the animals and get ready for a gut pile of a life time!! ;-)

Glass Coyote Flats- Alot!!!

I would camp at McMillan Springs. There is fresh water, great campiste that is high on the mountain. You will also be right in the areas where the Bison should be.

I am jealous; what a great hunt! I sure wish I was doing it again!!!

Take extra fuel, don't forget to get at least one spare.

Also, take a tarp. Lay that out next to your buffalo when you are field dressing it. Its really nice to lay the meat on it.

When I was at Mcmillan Springs I saw a water tap, it said not for drinking. Is there another source of water? I could always use my filter, but drinking water would be great. I am really concerned about heat and the meat spoiling.

I shot mine at Air Plane Springs. With the bow hunters chasing the deer, my best advice to you would be to be on a good point with good spotting equipment and as suggested use a map to find the closest way to them. As they get chased you would see them out just a little while in the morning, then they would go into the trees and lay down. We found a big group at cave flat. This early go high. Good luck - find a big one - the state record should be there for the taking.

That recommendation to carry a share tire is wrong. Take two spare tires. That shale is like glass chards. ;-)

They were southeast of mcmillan 2 weeks ago didnt see em on the weekend. Heard wikiup pass has a herd. The mcmillan herd was a half mile south of nasty flat 2 wks ago.

Lumpy, Some people slow down on those kind of roads and they take tires that the cords are not showing thru.

Kidding aside, when we were down there, one group broke their axle and spent the opening weekend with a broke down truck and that shale is so sharp it's really hard on tires.

The heard that is northeast of mcmillen springs is on private property and if you are caught out there they will prosecute to the fullest extent i know the ranch manager very well and there is only a few people that have keys to the gates and the code to the bottem gate also you hav to cross through the durfeys property and they dont take tresspassing lightly either i have pictures of of a bull out on the private that would probably be close to state record i was 20 yards away from him keep us posted on how you do

Durfeys is good to have the but that is only part of the private out on that north end so be careful out there the buff this time of year move on and off of the durfey and sandys private im not saying theres not buff anywhere else on the mountain but right now thats where the large herd is and all of these other spots that have been said are good spots and good tactics if you need any other help you know can pm me again and get my phone number
check out the bull second to the last in the pictures that have multiple bison that is a bull that would score really well probably close to the 120/122 mark and a couple other guys think he may be bigger

2898henries_pictures_064.jpg

2021img_1116_181.jpg

1415henries_pictures_067.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom