Help with Wy. sheep # 5

Squirrel

I finally got all the maps, made the decision to diy, and am in the process of contacting the biologist in charge of the area. Now I need to get advice from people who have been there/done that. For starters whether to truck,llamas, or backpack for a basic stategy. Of course if someone was packing out their sheep last yr and saw a 190" ram sleeping on a rock that would be helpful too. thanks guys

Congrats on drawing. I wish I knew the unit. Just read a few articles about hunts from unit 5. Should be able to fill your tag. Just depends what your holding out for. Good Luck! Give us an update. Where do you live?

Have never been in the unit.

Are you a member of Garth Carter Services? If so get a list of past successful applicants they will be of some help.

Keep us updated I hope to draw some day (next 20 years).

Look up B. Joe Coy from Yellow Creek outfitters, I hunted with him in unit 3 last year, great guy and knows the area (unit 5) better than anyone. If you end up talking to him tell him "chicken bone" says hi.

I live in n-cent Co. I talked to a great guy from the wy. game and fish today who helped a bunch with specifics of sheep habitat and access. Of course it sucks I can't go in wilderness but oh well. Hey mr twister, is b joe the kind of guy who would help even if he knows I can't afford him?? I'm not big on lying. Of course I have a stack of outfitters brochures an inch tall on my desk but there's no way I'm spending a summer's worth of wages on a 10 day hunt. The good news is I gave my notice of - I'm going sheep hunting for 2 months see you next spring! That means I 've got 9 weeks of sheep looking time. The dow guy hunted in the non-wilderness area 3 yrs. ago and saw 120 different rams in 10 days before choosing the right one so it should be fun with that kind of population available.

B joe is a straight shooter and I would be surprised if he wouldn't help you. With that much time I'm sure you should do fine. It is a very big area and be prepared for very long hikes. Having horses makes it much easier. lots of grizzly as well. If you don't have the money maybe you can work something out with him or barter. Just a thought.

Congrats! I've hunted this unit & was successful; I DIY with no oufitter and backpacked; I know a couple of good locations that are outside designated wilderness, so no guide is needed - I also worked with the Shoshone Nat'l Forest, so I know the area well and I can put you in touch with some folks who can help you out. I'd love to help you - I have a MT sheep tag for a unlimited tag unit, but that doesn't open 'til 9/15. WY will open on 9/1. I live about 3 hr drive from the unit. I'll send a PM with more info if you're interested.

I've been getting lots of good advice from here and bowsite as well. With almost 50 tags given /year there are lots of guys who have hunted it before. Don't understand how it took me 15 yrs. to get my turn!! All the ram photos are nice mass and older age class of rams with heavy brooming- I can't wait to head up the trail.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom