Help with a unit Selection!!!

K

Knockmdead

I have enough points to draw an Archery Elk tag this year. Of course it is not for one of the top units in the state but I would like to hunt a big bull this year.

I could draw either the Manit unit or the Wasatch unit. I live close to both units so scouting and hunting time would not be a problem.

With a bow, which unit is better, which can I expect to see more elk on and which has the better bulls. I know that I am not going to (most likely) find a 400 class bull on either of these units but would be very happy with a 350 bull.

What your thoughts and input. Any information would help.

Jeff

You should be MORE than happy with a 350 archery bull off of either of those units! They are there on both units, but certainly are NOT the norm.

I have always felt that I could see more elk on the Wasatch Unit than the Manti Unit.

Wasatch had 36% success rate, with the average age of harvested bull 5.8 years

Manti had a 35% success rate, with the average age of harvested bull 5.9 years.

They look about the same.

I have a cousin that has taken 2 bulls off the Wasatch. Both were with muzzle loader but both were 350 class bulls. I think (but not sure) that there are more of this class of bull on the Wasatch rather then the Manti, but I am more fimiliar with the Manti unit. That doesnt mean that I cant get real fimiliar with the Wasatch really quick though. I did set (at 55 yards) and stare at a 360 bull up on the Manti this last fall (with no tag of course, just my luck) but think that they are fewer and further between up there.

Any other input would be a great help. Have to decide within the next month and dont know which to choose.

Jeff

Wasatch had a good year in 2010, at least from the reports and people I talked too. However, out of the 135 archery tags that were issued, not too many of them took a 350+ bull. You would be very fortunate or be very good at archery tag and spend lots of time scouting to do that. It is possible, but don't expect to see 350 bulls running in to every cow call. If you draw the Wasatch or the Manti, I would say don't pass anything over the 300 mark with a bow. Just my 0.02

Still, who doesn't like to chase 300-350 bulls? It will be a fun hunt, whichever unit you choose.

I know me saying 350 is a dream, but then again so is saying 400 on some other units. I will be looking more for a bull that looks good to me then anything regardless of the score. Thanks for the info guys, any additional information help me to make a decision on what to do.

By the way dreams do come true some times.

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-11 AT 00:12AM (MST)[p]I had the Wasatch archery tag last year (8 pref points) and ended up taking a nice bull. My first elk ever. I am a NR rookie archery elk hunter and saw plenty of good bulls. I'll be more than happy to help once you draw.

Thanks ChubbyTuna, it is great to hear you had a good time and were successful. I am hearing more and more information about the Wasatch unit and less about the Manti. Anyone out there have any information on it.

Jeff

Thanks Kody, As far as I remember you dont know how to hunt anything but trouble.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom