Help with 10x42 binos

L

lefty

Guys, I am wanting to get a pair of 10x42 binos to use spotting elk and mulies at a distance in Montana. My cheaper 8x32's are not getting the job done. I do have a spotting scope, but I'm thinking the more powerful binos will make finding the critters a lot easier. From what I've read any thing more powerful would likely be too shakey without a tripod. I don't need glasses at a distance so that isn't a problem. I would like to be able to see horns easily in low light though.
I have around $600 to spend, and from my reading the following fall into my price range:

Leopold
Pinnacle
Cascade

Nikon
Monarch

Bushnell
Elite e2
Legend

Steiner
Merlin

Vortex
Viper

I have looked thru the Steiner Merlins at Bass Pro Shops and their clarity and brightness seems to be outstanding.They are marketed as a birding glass, and I wonder if they are tough enough for The mountians of Montana. Also, I've heard a lot of both positive and negative comments about Steiner products.

The Vortex Viper binos were chosen as the best buy by Field and Stream in '07, but I've not looked at them any where.

I'm not real knowledgeable about optics, but I have looked at the specs for all of these binos.If you have other opinions about the power I should be using for distance glassing, or experience with the models I've listed-- or any others for that matter-- I would be greatful for your comments.
Thanks in advance,
Lefty

If you liked the Steiners you should really check out Cabela's Outfitter Series binos. Basically a Steiner Predator with Cabela's name on it. Cabelas has a good warranty on their optics too. They will come in right at $600.

The Vortex Vipers are okay, I personally don't like the way the eyecups are so loose, but the glass is good and warranty is awesome.

Give Minox a look too. I looked through some and was pleasantly surprised.

The closer you get to your $600 limit, the better the glass is typically.

I will have some Vortex Vipers and Razors at AntlerFest at Cabelas for you to look through and see for yourself. You would be super happy with the Vipers or Razors. Great Value!

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

Even with 10x binos, I would suggest putting them on a tripod for glassing long distances. Having the binos STILL will allow you to see more detail and pick up tiny movements normally hidden by the jitters of handheld binos. Since you have the spotter, I assume you will have a tripod in the pack already.

If you havent yet decided what you are going to purchase....

I would recommend the Browning 10x42. They have been discontinued so it might be hard to locate them yet they also may be availabe at a very good price. They were made by Bushnell and could be the Legends with different housing. Images are impressive.

I also would recommend the Bushnell Discoverer 10x42 which have also been discontinued. They have a wider field of view than most. You might be able get a good price if you can find them. I have the 8x42 version and will never get rid of them. I think they are the most underrated binoculars available during the past few years.

You mention the Elite E2's. I havent seen them yet have read some bad reviews.

If you get a chance, look through the Leupold Cascade Porro 10x42. They have a nice image and priced very reasonable. The biggest draw back in my opinion is the narrow field of view.

Good luck. With all the models out there, it can be tough. There also isnt a good substitute to going to a store that has a great selection and take your time comparing.

The Vipers usually have very tight eyecups. It's one of the reasons I prefer them over others. Maybe you saw a different model?

I'll put the Vipers up against anything out there costing over twice as much...

There's a lot of good glass out there in your budget. Compare as many as you can and see what fits you the best.

>The Vipers usually have very tight
>eyecups. It's one of the
>reasons I prefer them over
>others. Maybe you saw a
>different model?
>

I must have gotten ahold of a couple flukes then. The more expensive Razors were even worse. Took hardly any effort to twist them down and up.

I like my hinges and eyecups tighter than average though.

I got an email from camerlandny.com who are haveing a speacial blowout on some of the Vortex brand optics.
It said they are a tan color and there was som miscoloration on the color, so they are dirt cheap.

here are a few links,

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=vortexvulture12x50

These 12x50's are regularly $269 and the tan ones are only $159

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=vortexvulture10x50

These 10x50's are regularly $249 and they are selling the tan ones for $159.

Not a bad deal!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom