Help understanding draw odds

fuzzyvelvet

I am trying to figure out Wyoming draw odds here on MM and it doesn't show anything over 4 points even though 4 points doesnt guarentee a tag. Can anyone shed any light on how the Wyoming draw works and how to understand the odds? What % of tags go to NR vs. residents. How many years it takes to draw a good antelope, deer, or elk tag. Thanks

Fuzzy

Any Weapon 2010

Season
Type Hunt Type App Type Pref Tags Random Tags 15 14 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
101 Antlered 1 7 2 9.1% 0.9% 0.9% 0.9% 0.9%
101 Antlered 1 Special 5 1 21.7% 2.1% 2.1% 2.1% 2.1%

SEE THE 101 ON THE FAR LEFT SIDE, CLICK ON IT AND IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW MANY WERE RANDOM AND PERCENTAGE DRAWS.

USE MM's Draw Odds

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

4 points were the maximum anyone could have last year for Deer, Elk and Antelope, so that is reflected in the draw odds. Max points won't guarantee a tag in the top end units for a number of years.

With regards to the drawing, read up on the fish and game website. There are 2 separate draws based on the price of the tag and within each of those 75% go to most points and 25% are randomn.

Right now the max points are four so thats why you see that. The way it kind of works is as a non res. there are two types of ways you can go about applying. Whether or not you have points you can just apply and hope your odds are good of drawing a tag. In some areas not many that can happen. When you go to the draw odds page on the website it will say Non res pp draw odd report... then you choose your game you want to see the odds about. When it just says 4 that would be someone with max points and that would be the draw odd of drawing the permit. Everything after that would be your odds. Sometimes they will not have anything becuase there are no odds for a second choice hunt. For example Areas 7 reads like this.
4 35.26%
<4 0%
According to the regs. If there is a hunt like this there is no chance at all of drawing it as your second choice and they tell you not to put in for it. And there are some of them that they will go down the list as far as points go like 4 3 2 1. That would mean that they did not sell all of the permits and they went down the list of the people that applied that may have not had max points.
Ok now for the other half of it. There is another way to go about applying as a non res. And its applying with a "special" I am sure you have seen it. You have to pay more to apply but its supposed to give you a leg up and on some hunts it does. If you look at the antelope hunt odds you will see that there are far more areas that will have 100% draw odds clear down to one point!!! Same goes for deer as well and elk too. But these are not the popular trophy areas. If you have some kind of points and want to apply this way you can and will help your odds.
Now let me explain this to you. IF you do not draw your first choice hunt and draw your second or third choice hunts you will not loose your points. If you apply with the special deal then you do not draw you get another point, but here is where it gets confusing so hang in there. When someone applys for a hunt as the special that point that comes with it does not get used towards the first choice hunt. Again say you have one point and you apply for antelope special and you do not draw the first choice hunt then you get 2 total points. And obviously if you draw your first choice then you burn them all up.
I belive if I am correct that the reason there are only max of four points right now is becuase they started that program four years ago, and as the years go on they will go higher.
I hope I answered your question if you have any more or I confused you let me know. Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-11 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]A point of clarification needs to be made to the previous post. No PPs "come with" any of the draws if you don't draw first choice. You have to pay for each PP either during the application period along with the application fee and license money or during the summer from 7/1 to 9/30 and the PP isn't good in any drawing until the following year's drawings. The odds shown are for the 2010 draws where the max was 4. This year the people who started buying the first year they went on sale in 2006 and have bought one every year will have 5 PPs. If a person submits money for a PP this year and draws their first choice tag, they will have that PP money refunded and their other accumulated PPs will go to zero. You cannot buy a PP and draw a first choice tag in the same year for an animal.

Good explinations. I was confused on a couple things. Now I understand. Thanks!

Eel

it's not a 40 incher but it's closer than the last 40 incher you posted....

JB

So let me get this right, if you apply for a special tag and don't draw you get two points? so if I have one right now and apply for a special tag, but don't get drawn I will have 3 points next year?

ss13- No. If you have one now and apply with the special then you will have two total not three. You still get to keep your point(s) you just get another one thats it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom