Help Sandhill Crane Tag Surprise!!

elks96

Long Time Member
So this spring I applied for sandhill crane for my son and I. When results came out it appeared that neither of us drew. Well today we were digging out the antelope tags and getting ready for archery season this weekend. Lo and behold in his envelope with his lope tag was a sandhill crane tag.

Now I have all sorts of questions. What is the best way to hunt? Shotgun? Bow? Small bore rifle?

What is a great way to preserve a trophy without a full body mount? I know it eats well but how do you cook it? We have 1 week to get it done. Any help or information sources to read/watch is greatly appreciated.

Lucky little turd…

IMG_0398.jpeg

IMG_0395.jpeg

Most guys that I know hunt them like geese, decoys in cornfields and layouts with shotguns, I have eaten them once, reminded me a lot of mallard duck. That said I would cook it like a mallard. Season it and sear it in a hot skillet with butter till rare or on the grill till rare, do not over cook it or it will turn out awful

i would be looking at recently cut barley fields or corn fields that get cut into silage here in a few weeks. they will hit them cut barley fields clear into December as long as the farm doesn't burn or till them up

Gonna need shotgun and non toxic shot typically, although some states allow lead as they are not waterfowl but check your regs. Figure out where they are feeding and go lay in the fence line or pivot line where they have to fly over to get there. Hide well. Decoys are great but make sure they’re REALLY good ones if you use em. The good ones are $100 apiece so probably not necessary for one bird. Filet the breast meat off and cook it just like a sirloin in the grill, med rare no more. Slow cook the legs like a pot roast and fry the gizzard. They’re my favorite thing to hunt.

We have always just done pass shooting while really trying for geese. Never wanted to invest in decoys for a Sandhill. Get that bead about 4' in front of the beak. Those suckers are moving faster than it would appear. They hit the ground like a sack of wet cement.

The often tend to leave their roosting areas in small flocks that follow each other, more or less. This can give you a chance to get in some cover on the flight path and maybe get some shots. Another option is to get down wind or upwind of a feed as there will often be more birds coming in or milling around the area. They have good vision and they can be wary. They will usually steer out of range if you try to look at them before they are close. I don’t like using 3.5” shells because of the recoil and they often jam my guns. You can kill them with 3” 12 gauge. Don’t let your dog chase wounded birds and be careful yourself. I wouldn’t go near them if they are not dead.

TSS. 7 shot. It is expensive but so much better than steel shot.

My son had a tag last year in Utah. We found a path they tend to fly and shot them as they flew over. Beautiful bird. We ate it, and it is the best tasting waterfowl, But it is still not prime steak. Wished I would have mounted the bird, but it takes up a lot of space. Have fun and give a report.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom