Help on a field judge......

I'm not an expert or the best to ask on here. If I was I wouldn't have shot a lope that scored 77 in Unit 57 last year. But this buck I think is about 14" long and exceeds 6 on the prongs and all 4 mass measurements are above average. I would have him right at 80"possibly up to 82" with the nice hay hooks. I would post this in the antelope section you'll get guys that know more than me. I wish I had one that large patterned right now they are everywhere but they are traveling a lot in a large area that I hunt. We have way too much water so its spot and stalk.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-24-11 AT 10:48AM (MST)[p]I gave him the following:

Length: 14 6/8
Prong: 5 7/8

C1: 6 4/8
C2: 6 4/8
C3: 4 0/8
C4: 2 3/8

Total: 80

Its so damn easy for an antelope to hide a bit...or be less than you think as well. Its a good solid buck for sure though.

If it helps you at all...heres some pictures of the buck my wife killed last year in Wyoming. Gross score is 81 5/8 Net score is 80 4/8 its listed in the summer 2011 fair chase:

IMG_4297.JPG

IMG_4298.JPG

IMG_4301.JPG

I think the buck BuzzH posted is a few inches bigger than the buck in the picture . . . Mid to high 70's . . .

Buzz is right when he says antelope can hide a few inches here and there. The first picture shows that "round mass" around the bases pretty well, but in the second picture he looks a big skinny. I agree with Buzz's mass measurements, not above 7" on the base.

That said, you'd have to pry the rifle out of my hands if it were me . . .

Thanks guys.... Your all about what i was thinking. I had him 78 to 81. I have a WY 58 tag so not sure i want to cash it in on him just yet. I know there is some mid 80 bucks but just havent been able to find them. I do have the location of a freak that i stalked twice opening day but he never calms down for more than 5 minutes so its tough to get close. I think the horn going out over his face gets in his vision and flips him out. He is a basketcase... LOL thanks again for the help.

I have hunted 58 before. That is a good goat for the unit. My cuz shot an 80 incher after looking at over 65 bucks. Good luck.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom