HELP...need scope suggests ASAP

G

GrizlyHunter

Hi All,

Well...I drew a BMU #21 tag for CO and I need a new scope quickly.

It's for a .300 Win Mag. The gun is only used out Wet so consider it a long range gun and scope. I want magnification above 10X with adjustable parallax. High quality, up to $1000.00.

Thanx for your help!

GrizlyHunter

>Leupold VX3 4.5x14x50
>
>Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 (mounts on medium
>rings) or the 50mm version.
>

Timberbuck,

I'm already considering the Leupold VX3. But I'm torn between the AO or not. What do you think about the AO? 1" or 30mm tube?

Do you have this scope?

GrizlyHunter

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 or 50 with AO... great glass and you'll play under $500 ! ! ! And yes, whatever you do, get the AO.
CSO

It's all about the good times...

You want the AO version for more precision at higher powers and ranges over 300 yards.

The 30mm tube will help with more adjustment range for elevation if you will be shooting over 600 yards (so will a 20 moa base).

You need to decide how far you want to shoot, are you going to click up on the elevation turret for every distance past 400 yards (magnum calibers) or use a reticle system.

For hunting and shots out to around 600 yards I would go with a reticle like the Zeiss Z800.

I like the 44mm scopes as you don't need high rings, I am currently running a Zeiss 4.5x14x44 with Z800 but I don't see myself ever needing to shoot past 600 yards on an animal. On my other rifle I am clicking up with a standard reticle with the same scope. I have not shot the Z800 enough to come to a conclusion which is better.

The long range shooters I have talked to all run high end scopes like the Nightforce and click up. Its more accurate way out there.

If you just want to get out to 500-600 yards either system will work fairly easy if you have an accurate rifle and load.

I would go with scopes with larger objectives for a brighter image at higher power settings.

For under just under $1000, IMHO the one of the best scopes you can get is the Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50mm Long Range.

The long range model has the side focus instead of the AO and is a 30mm tube. If you're worried about mounting height the same setup can be had with a 40mm objective, and it really won't give up much because it still uses the larger 30mm tube.

I've also become fond of the B&C reticle. I've been able to shoot quite well with it out to just a little over 500 yards with a .300 WSM. Beyond that and you should really consider something with a custom dial system that's matched to your gun's ballistics.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom