Help me pick a Muzzleloader for Colorado

elks96

Long Time Member
So next year my wife is going to be up for a good ML tag here in Colorado. I need to find a good gun that both her and I can shoot. It needs to be legal in CO and would prefer something that can be loaded hot and heavy for elk, but also loaded down for deer antelope. I have never shot a ML before and am really looking at getting her ready for next fall. She is a good shot and I want her to hunt in the middle of the rut.

What do you think about peepsight set up vs traditional open sights? I want here to be good out to 150 yards. She typically shoots a scoped 270, but since scopes are not legal we need a setup that can help her focus in on vital zone at 100-150 yards.

thanks for the advice. Also any loads, bullets etc. that are common.

I can't tell you about muzzle loaders, but would take the peep over more traditional open sights. Make sure she is aiming with her dominant eye. With a scope it isn't so important. With other sights it can make a whale of a difference.

I have a T/C Encore 50 Cal set up for CO. On the plus side, it is scary accurate with 405 grain Powerbelts and I just like the Contender/Encore platform. I'll work on loads for the 338 grain platinum powerbelts before my next hunt.

One thing I don't like is the powder smoke and residue that leaks past the primer coats the bottom of a scope (load development) and the action. I would like a breach mechanism that truly seals the primer. The Triple se7en residue eventually bound up my trigger. Not a real big deal after you know it needs some attention.

I have a peep sight set up, but again, I'm not fully convinced this is best. Yes, it is probably most precise for longer range shooting, but I think the standard three dot open sight may be faster for me to acquire a moving target.

I would stay away from Thompson Center guns in Colorado because you HAVE TO shoot a conical. T/C makes their guns for sabots. They will tell you that themselves and will not guarantee them to shoot concials. Yes, many of them like Piker's Ecore will shoot them well, especially those with a bell on the back, like the powerbelt. Many will not. My Omega (same kind of barrel and QLA as an Ecore) shot some concicals at 8 inch groups at 25 yards! I sent it to them twice and they said the barrel was fine and was designed for sabots, not conicals.

That said, if I was going to buy a Colorado muzzleloader today, I would choose a Knight or a CVA. Lot of good press on the CVA Accura and Optima. I shoot a Knight LRH and it does well with conicals as well.

I use a rear Williams peep and front fiberoptic post and I like that set up. I can hold 4-5 inch groups out at 150 yards. Won't be shooting at any running game with the muzzy, so that is not an issue.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

+1 on the williams peep and firesight/fiber optics bead. Yes t/c bores are oversized and do not shoot some bullets well.

Looking at doing a similar muzzy hunt next year in Flat Tops. Haven't got the area nailed down yet but we are narrowing the search... We bought a couple muzzleloaders last year, one for me and one for the Mrs. I got a Stainless Optima Elite with the thumbhole and she got the wolf. The Elite is a way better gun and she is more than capable of handling the firearm. I then replaced the stock fiber optic sights with a Williams Peep. I found the hornady 300 grain bullet to perform the best with 95 grains of Buckhorn 209 powder. Tried jacking the load up but lost accuracy. For Michelle I dropped the load to 85 grains of buckhorn and still was able to maintain consistent grouping. The buckhorn did carbon the breech plug up after about 3 shots but a small drill bit sized to the breech plug flash hole cleaned it right up. We also gave the powerbelts a whirl and they performed well too but they needed more power to shoot consistent. I also liked the buckhorn compared to 777 because of the ease of clean up and no need to swab after each shoot. I was able to shoot well over a dozen rounds without noticing any accuracy issues. We ran the same load through the wolf with nearly identical results. BUT with the wolf we had periodic issues with closing the gun with a fresh 209 primer then we couldn't get the hammer pulled back without slamming the gun shut with a good amount of force. In the end were able to get 1.5" to 2" groups at 100 yards and 4"-5" inch groups at 150 yards. Unfortunately we were not able to harvest any critters so I can't comment how the bullet did on any animals. Good Luck!!!

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I Have A T/C Prohunter that Shoots The Hornady 350 gr FPB with 2 IMR white hots fantastic have killed deer and elk with this load the last 3 years and hope after next week it will be 4 years

I also have had good luck with the FPB out of a TC triumph
over 95 grains of Blackhorn 209 killed elk with that load out past 200 yards. But if your looking for a gun for Colorado only I would go with knight,Blackhorn 209 and a 350 grain FPB

Rob,

I've got a stainless Omega sitting in the safe, I've not shot it in in a while. If you wanted to borrow it to test it out you would be wlecome to give it a try. It's not for sale.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom