Help - Looking to Archery Hunt Antelope in Wyoming

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Alright, I've never hunted antelope in my life, but have two points in Wyoming and I'd like to give it a try with a bow. I'm hoping a few of you can give me some tips. A buddy told me that hunting waterholes with a bow is a lot of fun. I would like a nice buck, but probably wouldn't be too picky. Any suggestions on units that would be good for archery hunting up there? Is hunting waterholes the best option? I might would try stalking them, but I would imagine that is quite tough, so maybe waterhole hunting would be a fall back plan.....

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Founder, waterhole hunting can be a blast, but is very dependant on the year. The last couple of years we've had great spring and early summer rains and many of the waterholes have been full,which actually makes for TOO MUCH water as the critters can avoid the holes with anything on them that makes them suspicious (such as a pop-up blind). The nice thing about waterhole hunting is that if it doesn't work out, you can always spice things up with spot-and-stalk later in the day.

When I'm scouting for a waterhole location, I usually look around for a small, spring fed waterhole, it doesn't need to be any bigger than your kitchen table to be honest. I also try to find something that's in "winter pasture" i.e. doesn't have domestic cattle on it all summer or it will be pretty beat up. They won't influence antelope on the hole, but they can sure play heck with a blind. Also, if you can find an isolated spring that's either in broken country or more than a mile from the next good water, you should be in luck.

Founder--
NE Wyo has had not much drought the past few years, which to me has meant waterholing has been good, but has also been a waste of effort.
However, the lack of drought has brought better, thicker, taller vegetation out on the high plains that make a stalk where there are some high bushes possible. Those Lopes will lay down for their naps there and you can't spot them unless you glass the near and the far.
They're everywhere! And some care to plop down where one can get close.

Rump

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-10 AT 10:12AM (MST)[p]I am in the same boat as Founder, only my son and I have 4 points and we are thinking about doing the same thing.
What kind of experience have you guys had with leaving a blind (pop-up) on a water hole, only to come back and have it stolen?
Is that pretty common, or are Wyoming folks usually pretty respectful of leaving your stuff alone?

There is a water hole that my dad, brother and I have all harvested bucks at from a pop up blind that my dad sets up a month or so before the season starts. It has never been touched but is also pretty remote.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-10 AT 09:44PM (MST)[p]If you guys draw let me know. You are welcome to use my pop up blind.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom