Help in scoring a bull elk

DeerHunter53

Long Time Member
Can someone clarify the procedure for measuring a bull elk for Boone and Crockett
1. You measure every point from where the point intercepts the antler
2. You measure the length of each beam
3. You measure the inside spread point to point
4. You measure the inside spread from above the fourth point
5. You measure the outside spread
6. You measure around the antler at the base you measure around between the first and second point and between the second and third point and between the third and fourth point and between the fourth and fifth point
Once you have all of those measurements you add them all up.
Did I do this right or wrong and if wrong where did I make my mistake

You made a couple mistakes.

#1 Inside spread is the widest point inside the main beams.

#2 You also only get 4 mass measurements, measurement #1 is taken between the 1st and 2nd points (this is the "base")

Outside spread has no affect on score, its for reference only.

2a0fcsk.gif

....and for one of the biggest mistakes.... you do NOT get 6 point length measurements on a 6 pt bull. It only has 5 points and a main beam!

Lots of bulls do NOT score what the owner believes they do because they read "6th point if present" and add the length when they should not.

Zeke

Zeke nailed it, a lot of 330 Bulls become 350+ because the main beam tip is being measured as a 6th point

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-16 AT 05:25PM (MST)[p]
Just Have Homer Re-Score it for you after you get your MM Scores!

Then He'll have one more Mad Person at Him on this Earth!:D

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

>Actually you score it like you
>described and then add 15%
>and post it here on
>MM.

Only 15%? Are you being tight with the scores now?
If I can't add at least 20% to my critters then I'll go to a different internet forum... if only I knew where that would be. LOL

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-16 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p] If you added #3 & #5 in,go ahead and take them off!

JUDAS!

It Ain't No Wonder why CUPSY Pisses People off!

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Ok so if I add the 15% Zeke said and then the additional 5% Elk Assassin said he is easy 400 bull. lol I now know where I made my mistake I was adding the outside measurement which you don't so now I know.
I wasn't adding he sixth point as it says it clearly on the B&C score sheet, but that is where it was confusing as the sheet shows the two inside measurements and the outside one as well but doesn't say not to add the outside one.
Also there are only the four mass measurements. Any other advice guys?

I find it always helps to start on "1" it ensures I get every possible inch of the antler and I don't short change the score...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom