Help getting started.

Iowan

I have never applied in Montana simply because the draw process seems a little more complicated, the fact that the state is huge, and based on the fact that I just do not have know any areas or have an in there. I want to find a state where I can bow hunt every year in a unit that I can simply have fun hunting. I do not care if I am hunting 280" or 380" bulls, I just want to be in the mountains having some action.

I enjoy backpack hunting within about five miles of a base camp or the vehicles. I can afford the license fees, fuel, etc. but not a tresspass fee or guide. With the application date coming quickly, I just need a little advice. For now it appears that I simply apply for the elk/deer combo and later can tag a stab at an LE unit.

I also can rifle or muzzle loader hunt but refer to archery hunt. I am most interested in elk but would not turn down the chance to take a decent mule deer.

I agree with the statement made by another, I would rather pay a little more to hunt a state where you can draw annually and have quality hunting than continue to the play the game in a state like New Mexico (under the system they are creating). I hate to start over in a new state as that learning curve can be steep but I think it will get me in the mountains more often and I have yet to shoot an elk in Iowa.

I considered Idaho but once you compare Montana to Idaho, Montana appears to be the clear winner as an archery hunter and it is closer for me.

You've got it right. Just get your app in for the combo, buy the point, just in case, and see if you draw. Nobody knows how it is going to shake out with the fee increase and the OSL's gone. Enough NR's are angry about the increase, they aren't going to put in, so competition is less for sure.

If you draw, sure, put in for a LE unit, but don't count on it. Start looking at where you might want to hunt, call the local FS office and have all the maps sent to you. I tell NR to ask for big colored travel maps. MT has millions of acres of NF land open to the public, with lots of elk to be hunted. Don't let the whole wolf thing deter you. There are lots of good elk areas. People are still whacking a lot of bulls.

You can hike a camp in somewhere, set up and go from there, or there are a lot of campgrounds you can "car camp" at and hike in everyday from there. Or some guys just park at locked FS gates and camp in a tent or car there and hike in. You are willing to hike, you won't be running into many hunters if at all. Up here in nw MT, when you are parked at a gate, you are kind of "claiming" it for the day, 99% of guys will just move on to the next spot.

And that isn't even mentioning all the wilderness areas in MT. Hike in and camp in the wilderness.

It always good if you have the right attitude.

Yes the drawing process is a little more complicated than some other states, but after you have done it once and know what zones you are hunting it becomes 2nd nature. If you draw the Combo tag, you can hunt any general unit for a buck, or a bull. Some units you may need a permit for a bull, but not a buck, and vice versa.

Its probably a few years down the line before you draw a permit hunt, but if you draw a bull permit, you can hunt the zone in which you drew, and any other general unit. If you draw a deer permit you can only hunt that unit.

If your willing to hike 5 miles, you will get away from the bulk of the people, and should seriously up your chances at seeing more quality game. Like you said, the state is huge; just pick an area and hunt it for a few years straight and learn the area. If you dont see what you like, try a new zone. The locals are great people and will give you hints and help you out when you need it. Obviously they wont hand out their favorite spots but will point you in the right direction.

Get some maps! There is alot of public land, and alot of private as well. Some Private is "Block Managment Area" and if you sign in, you can hunt the private for the day. Like any state, landowners will get pissed if you trespass, so know where you are at.

Lastly, it sounds like you want to pursue elk, I got the book "Elk Hunting Montana" by Jack Ballard. It has helped me out alot with access into certain areas. It has info on all public land that hold elk. Its a fairly new book, not one of those books with 30 year old info. I recommend it.

Dont park in FRONT of a FS gate,you will have a nice ticket waiting for you when you return.

Thanks all for the information. I love reading hunting books and appreciate the information. I am from Grinnell which is about 60 miles east of Des Moines on I-80. I am going to apply and see what happens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom