Heat Mirage??

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
I've got a NV antelope tag this year. When I had this tag 16 years ago, I had 10X50 Redfields and a 15X40 Busnell spotter. Couldn't use the spotter over 20 power because of the heat.

Now that i own 15X56 Swaros, is this all the glass I need???

I have a Vortex 20-60X80 spotter. Too much magnification for the heat????

I'll probably figure this out on my scouting trips but wanted input.

I have the 15x56 swaros and the 20-60 swaro spotter. The 15's should hold up well in the sun/heat. They wont show the waves nearly as bad as the spotter. The 20-60 distorts when it gets warm, not even hot. What tag to u have for NV?

I'm not a technical expert, but it surely seems that Mirage is purely a factor of magnification and heat. The more of either the more problems you will have.

I was just looking through my 15x Swaro's at a ridge about a half mile the other day when it was 105 here and the heat waves where very strong, but I certainly could have found antelope at up to a mile and tell if they had horns. I couldn't judge them, but I could now to get closer.

I must correct myself. Last year hunting in late Nov for elk when it was 5 degree's out, the heat waves where very noticable as the morning sun radiated the ground and the warm air started to rise. So it is heat radiation, not just temp.

Mike, I drew 032, 034 035.

BPK, so on your therory, once the temps top out at say 98 degrees, the mirage stops????

I guess the better glass is gonna have less mirage anyways.

The statements above are right on. Even with good glass you can't get away from the heat waves. You can reduce it with high end glass but I think a lot of people have the misconception of getting better glass to eliminate the mid day problems. Good luck on the goat hunt. That is actually a good tag.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom