Headlight restoration

eelgrass

Long Time Member
It's time to try and restore my 21 year old plastic headlights. There's like 500 videos on YouTube all claiming to the very best way to do it. From kits you can buy to OTC products. Does anybody have any experience doing that?

I'm thinking of getting this kit.

It's time to try and restore my 21 year old plastic headlights. There's like 500 videos on YouTube all claiming to the very best way to do it. From kits you can buy to OTC products. Does anybody have any experience doing that?

I’ll be honest from what I’ve seen none of that works like they advertise but someone else may have seen different results

They only work for a very short time. A lot of aftermarket headlight assemblies out there at reasonable price with decent quality. For ones that are not offered by aftermarket companies lenses need to be sanded and resprayed with 2 part clear. Been a few years since I had to spray any, but they now offer a 2 part spray can clear. Cost around $45 a can back then and you used what you needed and through the rest away because it would set up in the can.

I have used that kit.
If you follow the directions it works great.
It will do many headlights and be around for a long time if you take care of it.

I paid a Oil change place 50 and can have ut redone as much as I want. They are getting thinner after only a few times. I'm retiring so going to sell the car after they fix them.

I tried restoring my daughter’s with one of those kits years ago. Made them look a little better but not much and a lot of work. Was very disappointed!

Fast forward to this year and my headlamp lens and reflectors on my 2006 Duramax were looking pretty sad. Found some headlamp assemblies on Amazon complete with new bulbs, etc. just plug and play. Easy peezy and look great. Replaced my tail lamp assemblies as well…

Cost me around $130 for all four assemblies…

Horniac

I have used that exact kit. I wash I still had the before and after pic from my wife’s car so I could post them here for you to see. I will tell you, it was pretty extreme. The kit worked as advertised.

I’m 9-10 months in now and it still looks good. I’m not expecting it to be a permanent fix or even as long term as buying new assemblies. But they don’t really claim to be that either.

I used it on my truck and it worked well, but not as well as my wife’s car. It may have been more operator error on that one.

I would use that exact kit again if needed.

Thanks for the input.

I can get new headlights for about $100. I have to remove the grill, but it doesn't seem too difficult as long as I don't break any of the old clips.

If I do the restoration, I'll take a before and after photo.

The truth is, I don't do much night driving any more except during hunting season and we have a good spotlight for that.

I’ve heard oven cleaner actually works. Never tried it but it makes sense. Eats the oxidation layer on the out side and probably some portion of the plastic itself leaving a clear layer

I’ve heard oven cleaner actually works. Never tried it but it makes sense. Eats the oxidation layer on the out side and probably some portion of the plastic itself leaving a clear layer
I haven't heard about oven cleaner specifically but it's a heavy duty degreaser which is the first step of some kits. Hummmmm.

Hey Eel?

Don't FRICK Around With Any Of Them Band-Aid Temporary Fixes!

I Found The Real Fix!

For About 64K You Fix Several Issues!

I don't think they're selling too well. I drove by the dealer the other day and I see about 10-12 new ones sitting on the lot. Some Tundra's too. 5 years ago they would all be sold but not now.

I ordered the Ceracote Ceramic kit. a 3 step process. It's "guaranteed for as long as you own the vehicle". We'll see about that. $16.

I used bug spray (deep woods off) on mine and it cleaned them up really nice. I would never spray that crap on my skin…

Friend saw it in Tik tok or something like that so I tried it. Super cheap and effective.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom