Hawaii (Kauai) goat,pig, deer hunting

B

Broke_Hunter

Have a family Hawaii trip planned for March/2014 and will be staying on Kauai. Was considering bringing my bow out and chasing pigs and goats.

Was wondering if anyone has hunting Kauai in the past couple years and could give any advise, guidance, or point me in the right direction.

I am working on my hunter safety letter now and will sent it off tomorrow. It looks like non-resident hunting licenses our over the counter as well as archery permits which you buy just prior to hunting.

Been researching and it looks like the Napoli coast offers good goat hunting. Haven't been able to find any guided hunts on the Island and I am still considering DIY vs paying a local to take me out. Would love to chase an Ibex deer but there on different islands and different time of year.

If anyone has been out to Hawaii and hunted goats or pigs I would love to hear about the trip, or suggestions.
Thanks in advance.

Made a family trip to Oahu back in the summer with the same idea.
Took the bow in hopes of getting on some pigs and goats. Sent the Hunter Ed. letter and bought the license. Printed maps off the HI website (very poor maps) and printed some better ones from google. Even with that it took 3 days to find one area as there were NO WMA SIGNS or even ROAD SIGNS. I just started driving up side roads until I finally found the area-the sign was 200 yards up what was a dirt road leading to a convent. AND THE GATE WAS LOCKED!!!!!!!!!
The other area was on the Pali Hwy which isnt hard to find. But the Pali hwy has a high fence running along the length of it with NO PARKING signs all over it.Went up to the lookout and parked, thinking I would take this opportunity to get some info from the guy who was making sure all non-natives paid to park.Whn I asked about the hunting he turned stupid, acting like he didnt speak English. Again, no wma signs, nothing telling me where I could access, just dont do's.
I never got to hunt.
they"ll sell you a license but I think they really dont want you hunting there.
Hope you have better luck than me.

You'll want to hunt out west of Waimea, along the roads to the Napili Coast, as you said. Look out along the roads to the Naval radar facility. From what I understand, that is where most of the hunting takes place. Also, up higher near Koki State Park, but not in the park. Have fun, its thick!

By the way, if you want to hunt Axis "Ibex" deer, the place to go is Lanai, not Kauai. I'm not sure if there are many or any Axis on Kauai, but there are plenty on Lanai. Kauai does have blacktail deer, pigs, goats, not sure what else. I've seen goats in Waimea Canyon, but I don't believe you can hunt in there as it is a main tourist attraction.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom