Hatfields and McCoys

eelgrass

Long Time Member
Starting Memorial Day on the History Channel, a three part series.

It's the true American story of a legendary family feud?one that spanned decades and nearly launched a war between Kentucky and West Virginia. Hatfields & McCoys, a three-part miniseries, showcases an all-star cast led by Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton. It chronicles a clash of clans that inspired passion, vengeance, courage, sacrifice, crimes and accusations, while forever transforming the two families and the region they lived in.

I plan on watching it, as I'm a little rusty with the history part. It should be educational.

Right now I'm on the side of the McCoys but I think the Hatfields might win. Believe me, I know how mean those Hatfields can be.

Eel

Stop being a dickweed Eel!

2311idiot.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-08-12 AT 09:33PM (MST)[p]Why? It never stopped anyone before.

See, I told you the Hatfields were mean.

That's right eel, we even used kerosene to light up the Mccoy cabin in Kentucky and shot them as they ran out, including one daughter. That broke them from sending hired gunmen posses into West Virginia trying to gun down old Devil Anse

I wonder if they will touch on the politics involved. Where the West Virginia Governor refused to honor Kentucky's murder warrants and extradite my great grandfather to Kentucky to stand trial for executing three of Randel McCoy's sons on the banks of the tug river.

Would you believe that the Hatfield leader, William Anderson, Devil Anse Hatfield was a justice of the peace and several of his sons were elected sheriffs in West Virginia and a few close relatives were even governors. Nothing like politics and guns for a good mix. Oh! I forgot, those same Hatfields that were justice of the peace, and sheriffs, made some of the best moonshine in that area. Must of been that good spring water from Blackberry creek.

RELH

Looks like history does repeat itself, on MM we have our own version of the Hatfields, and McCoys LOL

Looks like a good one to watch, History of one of the greatest feuds of all-time.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I'm still partial to the Grahams vs the Tewksburys. Pleasant Valley war has a much nicer sound to it. And it all happened within sight of my deer honey hole.

You better be nice to her or she will give you a third eye right between the other two.

RELH

Thanks Jim. When my wife civilized me, I had to quit calling them scaping knives and rename them hunting knives. Yeah! I know there are persons that believe I will never be "civilized".

My daughter in law calls them "damn Hatfield knife" everytime she cuts herself in the kitchen.

I will not admit how many times I got stupid in the shop and cut myself with one of my knives. The wife does keep several cans of bandaids around for those times.

RELH

RELH
Ya she's got a CC permit and knows her way around a gun so I know not to tick her off too much or I just might wind up with an extra hole in my head if I'm not careful.

"Ok, I understand why the Hatfields hated them".

Only the men folk, the McCoys girls was a different story. Those hillbilly Hatfields courted and married a few McCoy girls over the years. Johnse was the exception, he got Randel McCoys daughter in a family way and any marriage was frowned on by both sides.

RELH

>I'm too young, what was the
>feud about?
>
>
>
4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

The feud was over wildlife managment and how to manage the deer herd, oh wait no that is the ongoing feud in UTAH.

John 3:16
THE LORD IS MY ROCK
NRA LIFE MEMBER
marines.jpg

fox14.gif

The same thing that most fights are about. Money, greed, politics.

Hatfields served with the confederacy and a relative of Devil anse killed a Mccoy who was serving with the union forces. After the civil war, Devil Anse owned large amounts of timber land. He caught Mccoy and his nephew trespassing and cutting his timber for sale. Sued them, won law suit and they had to forfeit their timber land to pay the lawsuit. There was another point of contention over a pig that a Hatfield won in court that was decided by a jury of 6 Hatfields and 6 McCoys. One of the McCoys voted with the Hatfields. I believe he was later killed by members of the Mccoys for siding with the Hatfields.

On election day people in the area met to vote and get together.3 McCoys got into a argument with Devil Anse's brother. He was whipping three of them when they pulled knives and a gun shot Hatfield in the back and stabbed him. Devil Anse took his brother back to West Virginia and also took the three McCoy brothers and told them. If my brother lives, you will stand trial, if he dies you will be killed. Brother died the next day, the three Mccoys was tied to PawPaw bush and shot dead. Feud was on for the next 10 years or more. Devil Anse did not loose any immediate family member, Randel McCoy lost every one of his sons in the feud.

Governors of Kentucky and West Virginia got involved, feud quieten down for several years. Coal was discovered in area and Devil Anse timber land had valuable coal deposits. That nephew of Randel McCoy, who lost his timber land, was now a lawyer, and got the govenor of Kentucky to reissue the murder warrants on the Hatfields and sent posses into Hatfield territory to arrest or kill Devil Anse and members of his family. The nephew wanted to get rid of Devil Anse and possibly make a grab on his land and the coal deposits.

When Devil Anse got word a posse crossed the tug river into W.Virginia, he would hide out in a mountain top cave they called the fortress. My grandfather, who was about 7 would go with him. Devil Anse also had a reputation of being one of the best shots in that area and they never got to him.

The oldest son, Cap Hatfield, got tired of the bounty hunters and posses being sent against them and led a party of Hatfields into the Kentucky side and encircled the McCoy home and set fire to it using kerosene. They shot the McCoys as they fled the fire. One of the McCoy daughters was also shot as she fled the flames wearing her brother's coat and hat, possibly given to her by her brother to protect her from the flames. Needless to say, shooting a woman was not a thing you did in those days.
Several Hatfields were arrested and I believe two went to prison and a cousin to the Hatfields was sentenced to death and hung as he admitted to being the one who shot McCoy's daughter.

Devil Anse was never arrested, he did not take part in the McCoy raid. In fact he was against it but Cap Hatfield was fed up with the McCoys and went against his Father's wishes and burned out the McCoys.

Randel Mccoy and his wife were mentally broken after that and the feud died down again. I have heard figures of 15 to 100 killed in the feud. Based on what I have heard in the family the true figure was about 25-35 killed. The vast majority was Mccoys or paid bounty hunters who never came back and their bodies never found after riding into Hatfield territory on the West Virginia side.

Devil Anse Hatfield lived to 1922 and his funeral was the largest ever held in Logan County, West Virginia.

RELH

1911 you be careful with Cuz, as he is a feuding Hatfield and I swear he keeps a jug of kerosene under his bed.

RELH

That must be a different overton than the one we know.

The only thing under our overton's bed is a blow up sheep.

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom