Hatch

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Wife grew 5 plants. We harvested 2 big bowls .
This is SE Idaho so you can't expect huge peppers, but they are mild and I don't like the burn of medium and hot peppers as my stomach must be old for the heat.
IMG_20240909_114012.jpg

Question for any of or all of you chili connoisseurs.

Let me explain: for the first 30 years of my life I never ate any kind of chili/peppers. It simple wasn’t a food I acquired a taste for, in my early years.

Fast forward to today. I really like the standard garden variety of green/red/yellow pepper that I buy at the local grocery store. They are sweet and mild and I like them raw or cooked, but aren’t mild and certainly never hot.

Other peppers/chillies that I have tried, a half dozen or so different kinds, are too hot for me, some waaaaaaay too hot.

My question is: are their other peppers/chillies that have good flavor, without the heat. For example, can I buy a “Hatch” chili that is very mild or completely without the heat chemical, where I can enjoy the taste without the burn.

Thanks for the any advice you care to share.

As far as peppers go try these!
Awesome flavor without the heat.
We throw them on the grill or just in a pan and roast them.
Eat them right off the stem!
IMG_4342.jpeg

I tolerate most peppers, especially in a cooked dish, but my wife is very hard to please and the least little heat will turn her right off on the food. Never to try again, in fact! Most peppers can be tamed down several notches by removing seeds and cleaning out properly. Rinsing in cold water really helps also

These mild Hatch Chili's are perfect. You can eat them with seeds. But you do want to remove seeds and skin after roasting, and then seal a meal.

The hatch green chilis at the Kroger city market here were labeled mild medium hot and extra hot... May have something to do with the age or ripeness of the Chile? The younger ones not as hot I presume...

I got medium heat 2# bag and just roasted on grill. Sweating now then will go in freezer. Have plans for elk shank green chili in crockpot when I return from mz hunt! I have some frozen shanks if I don't come home with some fresh ones.

20240910_082405.jpg

Heat is generally determined by variety, of which there are a zillion. I think they even have a whole dept at NMState devoted to developing “hatch” chilies.

Heat may be influenced to some degree by climate. I will defer to @BeanMan when it comes to “hatch” chilies. :)

Another question. After roasting and cooling, do you cut them in half, remove the seeds and skin them before eating or freezing them?

Heat is generally determined by variety, of which there are a zillion. I think they even have a whole dept at NMState devoted to developing “hatch” chilies.

Heat may be influenced to some degree by climate. I will defer to @BeanMan when it comes to “hatch” chilies. :)
New Mexico State University definitely has researchers working on Chile developememt. Colorado State University’s Agricultural Experiment Station also has breeders working on Chile developememt.

I roast and sweat them, then pick all the char off and rinse gently under cold water. Lay them out on paper towels to drain a little before packaging. I clean the insides when I thaw and rinse them later, depending what I plan to do with them

Of course. To quote eelgrass: “don’t worry honey, you can wash the dishes”……. after you roast the peppers.
She won’t let me do anything dangerous anymore. Pro Tip: don’t rub your eyes or handle your junk when cleaning chilies. :oops:

She won’t let me do anything dangerous anymore. Pro Tip: don’t rub your eyes or handle your junk when cleaning chilies. :oops:
Could be the best advise so far.

If they end up tasting great or crappy, if your eyes and junk are screaming, who gives a sh!t if they are perfectly prepared.

Thanks blue.

Could be the best advise so far.

If they end up tasting great or crappy, if your eyes and junk are screaming, who gives a sh!t if they are perfectly prepared.

Thanks blue.
Oh what the heck, we already hijacked the thread.

My wife is ninja level at this stuff. Here’s the Habanero hot sauce she makes. Regular and mango (which I don’t care for much). We do grow our own habaneros and jalapeños still.

Habaneros are genuinely dangerous and you MUST wear gloves.
IMG_5876.jpeg
IMG_5039.jpeg

I think I rival Blank in using black pepper in cooking. But I hate hot sauce and hot peppers. And now bell peppers repeat like crazy.
This year a friend gave me a grocery bag of sweet onions and banana peppers. The banana peppers were very mild. I did remove all the seeds.
Even though I love onions and these peppers were great I could not eat that large bag before they went bad. I ended up vacuum sealing and freezing them. The peppers I cut in half long ways and removed the seals. The onions I diced up. When they thaw the crispiness is gone, but still great in omelettes, soups, crockpot recipes, etc.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom