Has anyone hunted Book Cliffs in Utah

desperatehills

Very Active Member
I was the only person from Oregon to get a tag at the hunt expo in Salt Lake last week. I drew a muzzleloader tag for deer in the Book Cliffs unit. I will look for information in the Utah forum, I just thought I might find a fellow Oregonian that could help. Need to know if I should take the horses or hunt on foot from my trailer. The country looks desolate, how are the roads? Thanks in advance

Congrats on the tag, I have never hunted there but been through there. There is some of both, roadless and very roaded. I am sure that some of the Utah boys will help you out,

Rich

I would join "The Huntin' Fool" magazine ($100/yr). They will send you a list of past tag holders with their phone numbers. I would also talk to the staff at the Huntin Fool as they all live in Utah.

>I would join "The Huntin' Fool"
>magazine ($100/yr). They will
>send you a list of
>past tag holders with their
>phone numbers. I would
>also talk to the staff
>at the Huntin Fool as
>they all live in Utah.
>
I have been a member of huntin fool for 4 years. You are right, it is great information. I have drawn several good tags following there advice. I have gotten the list of successful members, it was 3 pages long so I will be calling them over the next few months.

I hunted the rifle tag two years ago. If it were my muzzy tag I would camp on the divide rd up on top near the radio towers.Take your quad and your boots and long range optics. Explore the divide rd from the Colorado side to the western roadless side.You will see a ton of bucks to about 26 inches and 165 type muleys. Spend as much time as possible and you might find a much better buck, good luck. BH1

desperatehills: + 1 on the Radio Towers post. Also hunting that Sept. 28- Oct 8 time line most all deer should still be on top as you stated. We made that North drive in from Vernal, UT our first year into the Cliff's..that North entrance is one long A#sss drive. Take plenty of gas...If your going to hunt on "top" then North is your best way into that country. You don't want to try and pull a trailer in up from the bottom to the top of the Cliff's.

On your scouting trip best way in from Grand Junction is the Radio Tower road. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can give you the road name. We never saw a road sign name..just know it was the middle road of the three entrance roads off I-70 into the Cliff's. It is a long 20 miles from the bottom of the Cliff's to the Radio Tower with steep switchback turns and a Cliff edge straight down...Not a good place for a trailer or 4x4 truck in slippery conditions going down hill. We went up early A.M. frozen road and by noon once the road thawed and got muddy. Tires balled up and we slid down those steep switchbacks sideways and almost off the Cliff. Couldn't control the 4X4 except for a controlled skid/slide. I was driving..after we got to the bottom safe my dad refused to go back up that road the rest of the trip he was so freaked out.

Good Hunt'n

)))).......>

Back
Top Bottom