Harvest Justification

O

OldTimer12

I posted this in the General Hunting Forum.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID5/20914.html
I need to know why you think you have to harvest a deer or an elk every year. With the deer population so low that the hunters are out numbering them and the fish and game not doing anything about it. I need to know if there is anyone out there that doesn't feel like they have to fill their tag(s) every year.

I hunt to put food in my freezer. We eat nothing but deer and elk meat. If I don't get a deer or elk that effects my pocket book. I did not get a deer in Idaho last year but I did get one in Washington State.

I saw so many deer last year and hardly any hunters, I just think certain units in the state of Idaho are over hunted

The reality for me is that I won't fill all my tags every year. Hell, there's a better-than-good chance I won't even fill 1. However, I'd like the opportunity to try. Its much nicer (not to mention, healthier) to go to a freezer full of wild deer or elk meat - cared for, butchered and processed by me - than to go buy cuts of overly grain-feed beef(or whatever), pumped full of drugs, from the local supermarket. That said, my success rate averages out to filling a tag every other season or so. This isn't even taking into consideration the benefits of being afield and spending time with family and friends every fall. JMHO.

I posted in the general forum but you posed the question here a little differently and I can be more Idaho specific.

Why do I think I need to kill a deer and/or elk every year?
Because I eat all the meat from a deer and an elk every year.

Yes the deer populations are low but they were even lower 60 years ago. Prior to the 1950's there were many years that deer hunting was closed and when deer seasons did start back up they were two days long. We must remember that nature is a constantly changing beast and has it's own cycles. We must also remember that Idaho is not the only state that is experiencing low deer numbers. Every western state saw the same drastic drop in numbers in the early 90's and has not yet recovered.

I do go out every year with the intention of filling my tag. I always shoot the first legal deer and elk that I see. I do not worry about how I might be impacting the populations because the IDFG monitors the populations and manages season dates and lengths to control the total harvest.

twsnow18...why do you say he posted this in the wrong state?

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

>twsnow18...why do you say he posted
>this in the wrong state?
>
>
>
>
>How to start an argument online:
>
>1. Express an opinion
>2. Wait

We're an opportunity state, he probably wouldn't (and didn't) receive the kind of responses I think that he was after.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-13 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]deepforks, what does it matter to you, why do you "need" to know? simple question that twsnow18 answered.

1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

>LAST EDITED ON Jun-20-13
>AT 02:08?PM (MST)

>
>deepforks, what does it matter to
>you, why do you "need"
>to know? simple question that
>twsnow18 answered.
>
>
>How to start an argument online:
>
>1. Express an opinion
>2. Wait

re-read the op's original post...then mine. do this a few times and i'm sure it'll come to you.

deepforks, why do you need to know....regardless if you directed your reply to me or the original post. read my reply a couple times and I am sure it will still confuse you.

Well, its not that I feel that I need to harvest every year but I definitely want to hunt every year. I truly believe that we are one generation away from losing the fight for our outdoor heritage. I don't want to get into a political argument but the seeds were planted long ago to start chipping away at them. I take my children out with me whenever I can. it doesn't matter whether I am mushroom hunting, fishing, hunting or cutting wood. I am passing the things down that my father taught me and his father taught him and on down the line. It might happen that you miss one year hunting with your kids and you completely lost their interest. I am not a hunting snob that believes you should only be able to kill an elk or deer every five or ten years. If you spend any time outdoors you would know that our herds are down but not as bad as everyone preaches. I don't know about the rest of everyone else but I love crunching the draw odds and fretting up to the last minute about where to put in. I love to be on the hill opening morning. If I didn't have that to look forward to life would be pretty bland.

>Well, its not that I feel
>that I need to harvest
>every year but I definitely
>want to hunt every year.

That's what I like to hear. I don't think you need a tag in your pocket to tone your hunting skills. The tag is the finale of the work you have put into your hunting, even if it takes a few years.

>deepforks, why do you need to
>know....regardless if you directed your
>reply to me or the
>original post. read my reply
>a couple times and I
>am sure it will still
>confuse you.

i'll slow down for you. the op first stated "I need to know..."

did the little light bulb go off yet? if not, let it go man, just let it go. lol!!!

Deepforks, WHY does it matter to you the reason he needs/wants to know?

he asked a question, if you don't want to share...move on and troll someone else. I hope a light bulb goes off for you and you fade away or as you put it "let it go man....just let it go" my guess you won't and reply with some other clever (not) post

1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom