Hang an Elk on Drywall??

H

HunterCoker

I finally have a good place to hang my elk, but I can't find a stud. Anybody know of a good drywall anchor that can support the weight of elk?

I don't need a stud finder....I was asking if anybody had used a heavy duty drywall anchor.

You can weld up a piece of steel with holes located 16" apart with a bolt welded in the center to support the elk.
Lag bolt the steel support into the studs where you want to hang him and you can sleep easy.
I don't trust those drywall hangers to support something as big as an elk.
My next trophy room will have 3/4" plywood behind the drywall so I can hang anywhere I want.
HH

Sheetrock ain't going hold no elk, unless it is a spike mount.... just kidding, it will come down if you don't mount it into a stud or someother type of fastener. One of my mounts fell down that we thought was in a stud when someone was mad and slammed a door.

Do yourself a favor and find the stud. There are some drywall anchors out there big enough to do the job but they are only as strong as the drywall's ability to retain them.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Are you the same guy that runs your Diesel pick-up on un-refined french fry oil?
JFP!

A hammer and a pry bar are great tools for locating studs in drywall ..

remove-sheetrock-200X200.jpg

If you don't find one right away keep looking...Their there somewhere ...

repair-hole-drywall-right-way-200X2.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

+1 on the "find a stud" comment. Last month I found my 4 X 4 Muley face planted in the carpet of my "man cave" the anchor was on the floor with him.

Great advice already given. Don't hang it on the drywall! Build a bracket of some sort to fit your situation.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

that one "Billie MAYS" sold that you pushed a hooked wire in the wall should work. he said 1 hook would support 200+ lbs, so worse case senario- put 2 side by side and you have 400+ lbs easy.

after all, they said it on T.V.

I don't know if a monkey hook will hold an elk, I know they will hold a deer. They sale them at Hobby Lobby, and places like Lowes.

Dillon

A minor twist to HH's metal plate anchored to two studs....... I needed to span three studs so I could center on the wall rather than between two studs and I used a 1 x 10 hardwood that I routed the edges and stained to match the room color and the elk hide.

Secured to the hardwood the grandkids can swing from it without worry, as long as I don't happen to walk by and catch them.

If you only need to span two studs an elk shoulder is generally wider than 16 inches so the hardwood can actually hide behind the mount. Saves having to dress it up and easier to put up than drilling holes in the metal plate. (or seemed at the time I did mine)

I have a wall or two that looks a lot like BuckSnots post. Where there's a will there's a way.

DC

I'd suggest hanging wood blocking on the wall (a 1x6 or something of that sort) and hanging the elk from it.

Fasten the 1x6 to the drywall with toggle bolts and then mount the elk to the wood, which (obviously) you can screw directly into. If need be, use two backers, one at the top and one at the bottom (of the back of the mount).

I'm a builder by trade and we've had to hang some goofy shat on walls. Toggle bolts are the way to go if you can't screw directly into a stud.

Hope that makes sense!

Raghorn Hunting Services
www.raghornhuntingservices.com
[email protected]
http://raghornhs.blogspot.com

Toggle bolts?
Really?
Through sheetrock?

Some of these ain't "raghorn" Bulls!}>}>}>

With what would be invested in a trophy,I surely wouldn't use toggle bolts,but that's just me!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-10 AT 07:41AM (MST)[p]The best thing I have found to hang heavy objects is "Z-Bar"

It's used to hang large heavy paintings and you can get it at any frame store for paintings store and it comes in 3-5 foot lengths and you cut it to fit. It's two flat interlocking metal strips, one strip mounts on the wall and it has holes every few inches you can screw it to studs and the other strip attaches to the object you are going to hang using screws also. It's very simple to use and it's hands down the most secure way I have ever seen to hang larger / heavy objects and it allows the object you are hanging to remain flush to the wall. Once you hang something using Z-BAR you will never worry again about it falling. send me a pm if you want more info on it.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-10 AT 11:10AM (MST)[p]Do not hang your elk head from drywall. I agree with the above. I cut out a piece of plywood roughly the shape of the shoulders and screwed that to two studs with big long grabber screws. Then used a small lag through the plywood to actually hang the elk.

Ask your taxidermist how many mounts he's fixed that fell off the wall.

I hanged my Texas longhorn mount using mighty putty, as seen on TV. This stuff is for real, I used 4 dime sized spots of it in eatch corner.

If it will hold a longhorn, it will hold a stupid elk.

>I hanged my Texas longhorn mount
>using mighty putty, as seen
>on TV. This stuff is
>for real, I used 4
>dime sized spots of it
>in eatch corner.
>
>If it will hold a longhorn,
>it will hold a stupid
>elk.

This is probably a sarcastic comment, but just in case it's not. . . I wouldnt take advice from someone who says "hanged". If you do, dont be surprised to wake up in the morning and find that your elk has "comed down".

A bunch of jokers on here. The guy is just looking for advise.

US SheetRock has a toll free number for "do it yourself" type guys. Give them a call and they'll get you started.
1-800-333-7824

If you don't hang it on a stud or use HH's recommendation, be sure to send us a picture of the mount and the wall after it comes crashing down. Your drywall WILL NOT support a big bull, even is 5/8" drywall.

There is a reason my entire room is sheeted in 3/4" plywood under the drywall...so I can hang stuff anywhere. Even then, I try to hang the really heavy stuff on a stud if possible.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-10 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to try and find a stud. If not I'll send the pics of the hole in the wall when it falls! ha!

BTW, it's not a monster CO/UT elk. It's actually a decent 6x6 Texas elk (NOT high-fenced).

You seriously don't hang cabinets that some woman could overload with toggle bolts do you?

Not saying a toggle bolt wouldn't hold one of the new LE Unit Trophy Spikes,just sayin.............!

That sheetrock isn't free standing. I doubt they span over 24" even in Utah.
use a nail if a stud finder won't pick one up.

Used a 6x6" square piece of plywood with four toggle bolts, one in each corner, with a hanger in the center for the mount for deer. I bet it would hold an elk mount.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-10 AT 11:14PM (MST)[p]nevermind...my bad
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Some of you amaze me!
I really like the 6' X 6' piece of plywood idea,hell why not use a full sheet of 4X8 & you won't have to cut it!
Ya,the super glues & Bondo putty will work,Taxidermists just love that stuff!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-10 AT 07:23AM (MST)[p]If it is that big of a concern, open your wall up in the area you want to hang the elk and reinforce it with 2x4's, get a piece of sheet rock and patch it back up. Problem solved.
4b1edef96546200c.jpg

they make 2 sided DUCT tap. that stuff is strong! if your still a little worried 2 peices 6-7" long would probably be stonger than finding a stud anyway. 1 time i stepped on a stud and it broke, so their WAY overated for strength i think:)

"face planted in the carpet of my "man cave""

Seriously, LOL at my office... :D :D :D LMAO

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

"This is probably a sarcastic comment, but just in case it's not. . . I wouldnt take advice from someone who says "hanged". If you do, dont be surprised to wake up in the morning and find that your elk has "comed down"."

I seriously started crying from laughing so hard...!!! LOL :D

Thanks GrizzMoose

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

The symbol " means "inch" there be pop. The deer has hung there for many years. I have a fair sized elk euro mount that I used a toggle bolt to hang. I re-inforced the surface area by using a large washer. That mount, too, has been there for years. Your taxi will recommend a stud everytime, but if the bull's got to go in a certain spot, you'll figure something out.

Find a stud. Yes, toggle bolts used correctly will definitely work. If you use one toggle bolt, then hell no. But several spaced out WILL do the job. fatrooster.

You guys ever tried Velcro?
I broke a motor mount on my chevy once,all I had was Velcro,worked so good it's still there,I'm sure it'd hold an Elk head up.

>You guys ever tried Velcro?
>I broke a motor mount on
>my chevy once,all I had
>was Velcro,worked so good it's
>still there,I'm sure it'd hold
>an Elk head up.

Tell me your joking. About the motor mount that is.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom