Hail storm deaths

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
We had an unbelievable hail storm baseball sized hail, looked like a bomb went off Monday night. It destroyed corn, grass beaten to just dirt went on for 45 minutes. Yesterday I went scouting to look over some of my deer ground still hail on the ground and never saw a deer alive, usually see 40 to 75 every time. Found 3 dead fawns. It was a hail path about 3 miles wide. I've had a buck that stays in a series of canyons I've watched for two years real open country so you can see a long ways. Almost shot him last year decided not to, figure him at 4 1/2 this was to be the year. Sheds last year scored 178. Gone now hope the herds comes back or I find where they moved to, sometimes nature sucks. I've seen a lot of storms with hail but this was unbelievable snow plows cleared the roads drifted up to 5 feet high.

My Pickup and house are fine and so is the town I live nearby. It came in a narrow band about 4 mile north of town I live south of town 3 miles we only received 1 inch of rain. I have seen the pictures that people have brought in and on facebook I didn't take any myself because it took most of the roads out. I also didn't really want to drive around in the dark with 23 tornadoes reportedly having touched down 9 in the are. The farmhouses that got hit lost all of their windows, It hailed so hard it shreded cedar trees.

Yesterday I spent about 6 hours hiking about and saw deer coming back into the effected area from the north which is the sandhills. I really wonder if they knew and left or just spooked and ran to get away from the affected area. Took my lab with me and she was constantly picking up birds doves, meadowlarks, brown thrush etc. that didn't appear to have anything wrong with them. I would take them from her and hold them in my hand and when I loosened my grip they would fly away 50-100 yards until she picked them up again. I have no explanation for that. On the bright side I had a great day shed hunting as the grass is no more and they stick out like a sore thumb.

By your name, I'm assuming you're in Nebraska. I took a 12 year team to the College world series youth tournament a few years ago, and I have seen the kind of weather you guys get first-hand. Scary how severe it gets up there. Hopefully the herd, and more importantly the people in the area are going to be ok.

WH

Been caught in a few bad Spring storms over the years in northern Nebraska hunting turkey around Merritt Res. and the Niobra. Hail, snow and lightning ain't a fun mix.

Scary deal Rick!

I caught a blip on the weather show but didn't realize it was basically in your back yard!

So glad to read that it missed your place and family.

Stay safe brothaaaa,

Robb

Thanks guys. As the guy that farms and ranches a lot of my hunting area said that $100.00 an acre Hail insurance sure seems cheap now.
This one didn't kill livestock like some storms in the area have in the past. On the bright side the town is getting a great revenue from insurance adjusters eating at the cafe and staying in the usually empty motel.

>Hmmmm...Me thinks we have a storyteller
>here...
In 2001 I think it was hail killed 16 or 17 pronghorns in the sandhills of Nebraska. If you haven't witnessed a big hailstorm on the plains you don't know what scary and destructive mean.

"In the breast of every meat hunter there beats the heart of a secret, frustrated trophy hunter."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom