Had my 300 win stolen.

• Thread starter mywifeishotterthentiffany
  • Start date
M

mywifeishotterthentiffany

I let one of my sub contractor borrow my 300 win mag with a Zeiss scope on it and he left it in his pickup overnight. Then someone broke in to his pickup and took it. How would you handle this situation. I have not have a chance to talk to him yet.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

He should replace it

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

NEW OR USED??

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

That sucks!! No doubt about it!!

To me, that's a tuff call. I've loaned a few guns in my day and then i sweat it out that they will be returned in the same condition or even returned at all. I think a lot depends on the circumstances. Did you talk him into taking your gun or did he ask to borrow it. What kind of financial situation is this other fellow in? Lastly but not leastly, how good of friends are you with him?

Certainly, he is responsible for the loss of your gun and should have already told you that he'd either pay for another one or offered to pay you what it was worth when he informed you that it was stolen. Does he feel you had owed him big time for some other favor that he had done you? Being he apparently didn't make the offer to compensate, i'm wondering if we're not really hearing the whole story.

Good luck! Situations like this can be tuff to resolve if both parties don't see it the same way.

Joey

>You have homeowners?
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Yes I have homeowners. He did offer to replace it. The gun was in good shape and maybe 100 rounds shot through it. I am Just wondering what replace is? What about the 75 dollar trigger job I had done on it? I owed him no favors but he is a key part of my business. He asked to borrow it. i hope this helps.

I only talked to him for 30 seconds because I was in a meeting when he called. Just wanted your guy's opinions.

By all means, tell him what you honestly have into the setup, accept his check or cash and go shopping!! :)

Most hunting seasons are closed. At least you have almost a whole year to be ready for next season.

Joey

I do not think you can fairly charge him every nickle and dime you have in the rifle. He should replace it or it's value at a fair market value based on the used condition it was in.
If you loan firearms out in the future, you should get a rider on your home insurance policy that will cover the firearm at a set value when you purchase the added insurance.

As for me, I do not loan any of my firearms out unless it is a close family member.

RELH

you should not even have to ask....he should say new ones on it way!
or cut you a check on the spot! at new replacement price!
you can insure anything that true...
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

A FEW YEARS BACK I STOPPED LOANING OUT HUNTING EQUIP.,GUNS, CHAINSAWS, QUADS & TRAILERS. I FOUND THE BORROWERS WILL WANT TO COME BACK AND BORROW TIME & TIME AGAIN....INSTEAD OF BUYING THEIR OWN STUFF. IF THEY HAVE TO BORROW THEY MOST LIKELY DONT HAVE THE $$$$ TO REPLACE IT. THEY ALSO NEVER TREAT IT THE WAY YOU WOULD........LOSE...LOSE...SITUATION........YD.

Sorry to hear that. Are you sure he didnt decide to just keep it? Who leaves a rifle overnite thier vehicle? He should replace it.

I do not loan money, cars, guns, or my boat. Nothing good ever comes from letting people borrow from you and as somone else posted NOBODY will take care of your stuff the way you will. I found it is the quickest way to ruin a friendship so I just do not loan stuff to people. I have loaned guns to people when they are hunting with me but thats about it.
He should replace the gun without question.. period.

So far this is the oldest I have ever been.

I am sure that someone took it. He had filed a police report. He leaves stuff in his truck all the time. He never takes his tool in at night. I had asked him to not leave my gun in the truck. He told me he bring it in every night.

Who knows what kind of situation the guy is in as far as being able to just write you a check or immediately replace it...might wanna consider a fair trade for the loss if he can't replace it right away?? I'd accept a Swaro or Leica spotter for instance...good luck :)

~Z~

Wanna know what makes it worse. He never locked the door and we live in a high crime area.

And thanks for the +1

I don't think he can afford it but I write his checks.

He should already have the replacement rifle and scope ordered without any prompting by you. And next time, if there is a next time, have an agreement in place first if the loaned item is lost, broken or stolen.

>I don't think he can afford
> it but I write
>his checks.
>
>

Well there's your answer right there. He works it off - you just deduct enough out of his checks over time to cover it.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

He should replace it exactly or ask you what to write the check for. Period.End of story.

I'm with model 70 Guy.In fact,about 15 years ago my brother-in-law asked to borrow my pre-64 Model 70 in .338 to go hog hunting. He didn't lose it but he did let it sit wet in a soft case and rust up pretty bad. Just said "I'm sorry' and I didn't push it because:

1)He's my wife's brother; and

2)He couldn't afford to replace it anyway.

He really is a good guy but I'm always amazed at how far people will go to NOT accept responsibility for their actions sometimes-ESPECIALLY if doing so would cost them $$$.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom