gunsmith Q

manny53

Long Time Member
would any you guys know if a standard L,A bolt say a 30-06 work for a Magnum caliber, I got an action from a 30-06 & wanna build a 7 or a 300 mag....? thanx Manny

As is, the "bolt face" is too small.
Magnum calibers have a larger diameter case.
It (the bolt face) can be enlarged on some actions, check with a gunsmith.

Manny, like said above you can have the bolt face opened up or rebbarel to something with the same bolt face....If it were me I'd go 338-06 in a heartbeat.....here is a website with cartrige specs so you can look for yourself...

http://www.stevespages.com/page8d.htm

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Thanks Many!(Kiddin!)

I'd put the money towards a new 7MM RUM or a 300 RUM or a 338 RUM or you could Man Up & get a 375 RUM:D

Then do custom work on it if you want?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

If your 30-06 barrel is in good shape, it will be a easy and cheap job to rechamber to 300 Win. mag. Just rechamber the barrel, will not even have to remove the barrel, open the bolt face. Sometimes, not always, you may have to open the guide rails for the larger dia. 300 mag case.
As for overall lenght, they are both the same so no problem with the lengh of the magazine. I have done about 5 on my shop lathe.

RELH

> or you could Man
>Up & get a 375
>RUM:D
>

Ya and then you can hem haw for a whole year about choosing which bullet to shoot like some folks...lol

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Have your 30-06 reamed to a 30-06 AI. It will give you 300 win mag ballistics if not better.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Not 'Hem Hawing' around there Snort!
Started out with 300 Grain A-Frames,gonna see if I can find something a little heavier,these will almost Timber a Tree:D

Probably gonna sell the Barnes Slugs if they don't perform like they should,We'll see?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

"Probably gonna sell the Barnes Slugs if they don't perform like they should,We'll see?"

You'll be replacing 'em with Core-Lokt's lol....

>Have your 30-06 reamed to a
>30-06 AI. It will give
>you 300 win mag ballistics
>if not better.

Not really. Most AI gains are in the 50-100fps range. Not a lot of gain to be had with the 30-06. Powder capacity=velocity in the same caliber, no way around it unless you up the pressures. I have a couple AIs, and while I don't regret them, the only real improvment is case life.

What's the rifle make?

Manny you can still use the action. You could trade the bolt to someone with a magnum bolt face. Have seen lots of guys looking to trade. Then have the action blueprinted and lugs lapped. Then install new barrel and your good to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom